• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tomorrow's Budget... good or bad for contractors using Ltd companies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow's Budget... good or bad for contractors using Ltd companies?

From the BBC:
    We know that from Tuesday many of us will start paying more tax and receiving fewer public services.
    But on the other hand:
    we know that corporation tax will be cut and there will be modest National Insurance holidays for companies creating jobs outside London and south-east England
    So, specifically for contractors working through their own companies, what do we expect?
    Some measure of serious discussion is welcome, amongst the usual spite and whinging

Damn it, I can't edit the typo in my poll title!
    Better off?
    5.56%
    Worse off, but not as bad as for permies
    16.67%
    Worse off
    33.33%
    Worse off, even harder hit than permies
    16.67%
    Bugger all difference
    16.67%
    We should ask AtW
    11.11%
    Last edited by d000hg; 21 June 2010, 16:58.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    From the BBC:

We know that from Tuesday many of us will start paying more tax and receiving fewer public services.
    <pedant>
    To be precise, excise duty on booze 'n' fags or tax on fuel may come in at a new rate tomorrow at the factory gate, but many folks won't start paying until new stocks arrive at their local suppliers.

Unless there are exceptional circumstances, VAT and tax rises usually come in on a specified date in the future.
    </pedant>
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Who but an utter, utter, utter moron would expect the budget to make them any better off - that has never been what it was about, under any government, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        Who but an utter, utter, utter moron would expect the budget to make them any better off - that has never been what it was about, under any government, ever.
        There must have been a good budget once. Otherwise taxes would be infinite.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

The oppressive taxes under nuLieBore were the best thing that could have happened to me ......

.... it motivated me to leave the country and set up business abroad.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

How about this for an idea?

Instead of wildly guessing, why not wait 16 hrs and find out?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              How about this for an idea?

Instead of wildly guessing, why not wait 16 hrs and find out?
              Is that the kind of thinking on which your CUK history is based? Not that a dim-witted urchin such as yourself would be any the wiser with the facts to hand.

Comment

I think we could be in for a little Brucie bonus!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

How much better off were LTD company contractors under any Labour budget?

Remember the one that added IR35?

Remember the Work Permit frenzy to fill the "skills gap" just after the Dot Com crash?

Remember the one that added increased Corp Tax for small businesses whilst cutting it for large businesses?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Really? Those on low incomes are much better off with free doctors and dental care and benefits than 50 years ago.

Plus they were talking about reducing how much tax poor people pay, since it doesn't raise much anyway.

Plus us contractors are a small minority, and as such could catch a break if they want to encourage small companies.

Comment

Working...
                    X