• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pleased with myself

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pleased with myself

Not one to boast, but after 10 years in this business, the last three of which have been, to say the least, a struggle, I have just secured two mega, eclusive contracts to recruit engineers from the Commonwealth (OZ, Saffers, Canadians) and W. European countries.

I know little about engineering (so what? ) except that no one in the UK wants to train as an engineer any more. I was up against some agencies that had proposed to recruit from Eastern Europe and I managed to persuade the clients that if they wanted to build cheap machine tools that didnt work then OK.

So my real hope is that having cleared out what I call the good time boys- you know the ones that prosper when the market is healthy- these contracts will launch "dodgy Enterprises" back into the glory days.

I have pursued a strategey of not trying to compete for PSL work, but by offering something that no one else is doing. I hope then to infiltrate into these clients IT PSLs.

Talking of PSLs, I have found that these serve the purpose of acting as a shield for HR as much as being of positive use for the clients. Having said that many of these PSLs are put together with a lot of thought and are genuinely used to get the very best service from the suppliers. For a relatively small agency like ours they present a hugely time consuming and costly challenge that we just cannot be bothered to pursue.

So its "back door" for me.

PS does anyone know anything about engineering?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Well done, old bean. Get yourself a magnum of the best.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Are you now going to hire new secretary with bigger **ts?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        Are you now going to hire new secretary with bigger **ts?

As long as she understands engineering
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Well done, Dodgy. I'd not overly highlight your "backdoor action" if I were you though. Might ruin any potential future career as a LibDem MP.
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

yes, well done dodgy. sounds like a right nice little earner. and remember to keep us posted about any new secretary. we will want to know that you are continuing to be well served...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
              I have pursued a strategey of not trying to compete for PSL work, but by offering something that no one else is doing. I hope then to infiltrate into these clients IT PSLs.
              Well done, it can get mundane just competing the same as everyone else much better to do something different and everyone else plays catch up. Hope it all goes well.

Comment

Congratulations and all the best.

Engineering - lower income per head?

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                  Well done, it can get mundane just competing the same as everyone else much better to do something different and everyone else plays catch up. Hope it all goes well.
                  Thanks to all of you. I will keep you posted

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
                    Congratulations and all the best.

Engineering - lower income per head?
                    Certainly, I would say about 10% lower earnings than in IT. Believe me none of you are "missing out"

Comment

Working...
                    X