• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Slaughter Stone Vol. XXV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Slaughter Stone Vol. XXV

Once again, the web gives up its treasures - well, a few bits of broken glass:
    • Terrorist organization logos - "Terrorist groups, like any organization, need brand identities. With so many groups claiming credit for terrorist acts, and so many videotapes being put out featuring men in ski masks, it’s hard to keep track of which group committed what violent act. So terrorist organizations have logos. It recently occurred to me that someone had to actually design those logos. But how did they decide who gets to do it? Did the job go to whichever terrorist had a copy of Adobe Illustrator?" Even if you're not interested in the logos (most of which are pretty lousy) it's interesting to see just how many terrorist groups there are out there.

• Parallel Play: A lifetime of restless isolation explained - Tim Page writes about life with Asperger's syndrome: "In the years since the phrase became a cliché, I have received any number of compliments for my supposed ability to 'think outside the box.' Actually, it has been a struggle for me to perceive just what these 'boxes' were—why they were there, why other people regarded them as important, where their borderlines might be, how to live safely within and without them. My efforts have been only partly successful: after fifty-two years, I am left with the melancholy sensation that my life has been spent in a perpetual state of parallel play, alongside, but distinctly apart from, the rest of humanity."

• 10 People Who Killed Their Bosses - The dark side of the permie mind, revealed

• Hierarchy of the Successfully Self-Employed - While the permies get on with bludgeoning their superiors, we can focus on becoming superior: "If you call yourself a contractor, but basically set your own hours, and name your price for a project, you’re not a contractor. You’ve moved to the Expert level and didn’t even know it."

• Creepy Wikipedia pages - IGN forum member YellowSnowDemon posts an extensive list of weird stuff on Wikipedia. I wouldn't describe all of it as creepy ("British Rail flying saucer" is just odd) but there's plenty there to keep you freaked out - "Concrete-encased high school girl murder," anyone?

• Food bloggers give restaurant owners indigestion - "Grant Achatz is happy that food bloggers are so excited about dining at his renowned Alinea restaurant in Chicago that they want to shoot photos and even video of their experience. And he embraces the Web as the new medium for disseminating dining information. But he does wish they'd just sit and enjoy their food while it's hot." Some of these idiots spend so long setting up lighting and photographing their meal for their blogs that it's cold when they come to eat it. Prats

• Locals and Tourists - Eric Fischer used geolocation and date data on photographs in flickr to determine what's photographed by tourists and what by locals in numerous locations around the world. "Blue points on the map are pictures taken by locals (people who have taken pictures in this city dated over a range of a month or more). Red points are pictures taken by tourists (people who seem to be a local of a different city and who took pictures in this city for less than a month)."

• Introduction to the Paleolithic Diet - "There are races of people who are all slim, who are stronger and faster than us. They all have straight teeth and perfect eyesight. Arthritis, diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, stroke, depression, schizophrenia and cancer are absolute rarities for them. These people are the last 84 tribes of hunter-gatherers in the world. They share a secret that is over 2 million years old. Their secret is their diet- a diet that has changed little from that of the first humans 2 million years ago, and their predecessors up to 7 million years ago. Theirs is the diet that man evolved on, the diet that is coded for in our genes. It has some major differences to the diet of 'civilisation'." Now put that doughnut down, run into the woods, and club me a weasel for dinner.

• eChalk optical illusions - Fun collection of, well, optical illusions.

• Forgotten Bookmarks - "I work at a used and rare bookstore, and I buy books from people everyday. These are the personal, funny, heartbreaking and weird things I find in those books." Michael Popek finds plenty of odd stuff, but possibly the most surprising was a negative in a copy of Hemingway's For Whom The Bell Tolls - when printed, it turned out to be a photo of his own family at his father's first communion

Happy invoicing!

You missed this one

But didn't he do well!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
    X