• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daddy Longlegs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daddy Longlegs

Why is a Daddy Longlegs called a Daddy Longlegs?

Massive one buzzing around the office. Then wondered where the name came from.

Googling I havent found anything yet?!!!

Brucie Bonus for the first one to find the accepted meaning!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Jeez. That makes you itchy!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Never mind how they got their name? Why do they even exist? They seem to be absolutely pointless creatures, no use for anything whatsoever. A kind of flying AtW!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

They're not daddy long legs, daddy long legs have wings and huge teeth man.
        "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
          They're not daddy long legs, daddy long legs have wings and huge teeth man.
          What like this?

Comment

Wow! The Internet has Failed! I cannot find where the term comes from.

That's it everyone. The internet is broken. Obviously it's a secret never to be told.

Comment

They could poison you if their 'teeth' were not so short. Allegedly. The larvae are called caddis fly and they eat roots.

I'd guess the name Daddy Long Legs comes from the length of their legs?
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                They could poison you if their 'teeth' were not so short. Allegedly. The larvae are called caddis fly and they eat roots.

I'd guess the name Daddy Long Legs comes from the length of their legs?
                Do you reckon it's some sort of homage to the film Scum with Ray Winstone. Do you reckon there was a larvae style borstal for young Long Legs. Then one hard bastard came along, tried to take over the gaff. Placing a couple of pool balls in a sock he proceeded to beat down his opponents one after the other, eventually buzzing 'Who's the Daddy Long Legs now'!!!!!

I'll get me coat.
                Last edited by MarillionFan; 21 June 2010, 22:04.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Excerpt from Britannica,
                  any insect of the family Tipulidae (order Diptera). In English-speaking countries other than the United States, the crane fly is popularly called daddy longlegs because it has a slender, mosquito-like body and extremely long legs. (In the United States, “daddy longlegs” generally refers to an arachnid.) Ranging in size from tiny to almost 3 cm (1.2 inches) long, these harmless, slow-flying insects are usually found around water or among abundant vegetation.

crane fly (insect) Daddy Long Legs

..... but it doesn't explain where the daddy part came from...

Although if you follow the 'daddy long legs' link within the link... it writes about 'two eyes located on a central knob'

Comment

Or perhaps a colloquial term adopted by a children’s poet?

Edward Lear, The Daddy Long-legs and the Fly
                    "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Working...
                    X