• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manchester

I have a good opportunity of working for a large financial services organisation in Knutsford, which is in the Manchester area. My initial enquiries have led me to believe that accomodation or lodgings is fairly thin on the ground in that region so was thinking about staying in Manchester itself. What can you expect to pay for a half decent B&B up there & are there any areas to avoid? I've only ever been up north once so I apologise if I sound green lol!

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    I have a good opportunity of working for a large financial services organisation in Knutsford, which is in the Manchester area. My initial enquiries have led me to believe that accomodation or lodgings is fairly thin on the ground in that region so was thinking about staying in Manchester itself. What can you expect to pay for a half decent B&B up there & are there any areas to avoid? I've only ever been up north once so I apologise if I sound green lol!
    Been a few years since I worked up that way, but I recall Knutsford as being a very pretentious little hamlet with little to be so smug about. If you are likely to be there for any length of time maybe look for Lodgings. I know I did, and ended up staying in the spare room of a young Lesbian in Sale. She had recently finished with a long-term partner and, as she worked away quite a lot, needed someone to look after her 2 cats. Ideal background scenario for a Sitcom, and the notion still exists as Plan C!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I worked there for a year. Manchester is too far to commute. I B&B'd first week, then rented a room in Knutsford. If you don't fancy Knutsford try Maccllesfield, or possibly Altringham.

Comment

Time for a banning me thinks
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Dear Sockie,

I presume you will be working at Radbroke hall for Barclays. They will have directions to Radbroke barn, which is were all the Barclays' contractors stay. I enjoyed my time there and the brekkies are excellent. The proprietor is a mad eccentric old squire who always made I larf.

Radbroke barn turning is almost directly opposite a pub called the "Whipping Stocks" which is a Sam Smiths pub so very very cheap beer.

Radbroke barn

BR

SY01
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, commuting from Manchester to Radbroke hall on a daily basis isn't too much of a problem.

I presume Gricer that you'll be shacking up with a compadre on "Canal Street".

However, depending on what projects are currently online, parking at Radbroke can be a bastard.

You could always get the train into Knutsford and then taxi to Radbroke.

Comment

doggin

I liked keepin it real with the millionaire farmers chewing back a pint or two at the http://www.doginn-overpeover.co.uk/ .. rooms are good, pub is not bad.

Plus you get to put DoggInn on your expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_woo View Post
                I worked there for a year. Manchester is too far to commute. I B&B'd first week, then rented a room in Knutsford. If you don't fancy Knutsford try Maccllesfield, or possibly Altringham.
                Macclesfield please....

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

You could always get the train into Knutsford and then taxi to Radbroke.
                  Excellent. Yes, the rail option would be preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Been a few years since I worked up that way, but I recall Knutsford as being a very pretentious little hamlet with little to be so smug about. If you are likely to be there for any length of time maybe look for Lodgings. I know I did, and ended up staying in the spare room of a young Lesbian in Sale. She had recently finished with a long-term partner and, as she worked away quite a lot, needed someone to look after her 2 cats. Ideal background scenario for a Sitcom, and the notion still exists as Plan C!!

I let a few rooms in my house to a pair once. Exceptionally tidy and ever so quiet.

Quite a change from the nurses before and the lady lawyer afterwards.

But you can't exactly put up adverts saying "house share with quiet older gent, only young lesbians need apply".
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X