• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm role is doing my head in

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm role is doing my head in

I hate my perm role. My boss likes to get involved and fiddle with things, despite knowing nothing about it. I came back from a holiday to find my boss had added a scrolling banner at the bottom of the website using <MARQUEE> tags. Or a script that allowed full, unvalidated access to the production database to anyone on the net.

I have a plan B that is treading water, but it won't support me yet.

Seriously thinking about quitting and trying to get a front end developer contract, not sure I'd be able to get into financial roles as I have no experience. But, that nagging thought "you'd be mad to give up a permanent role at the moment". Are we still at that point? I have a small warchest but not enough to cover many months out..

You sound a natural contractor.

Come on it. The water's lovely.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
      But, that nagging thought "you'd be mad to give up a permanent role at the moment". Are we still at that point?
      We're about 2 hrs away... once Mr Osborne is done with raping the country.

Comment

Hand in your notice and find out.

Do you have kids to support?
        A wife?
        A mortgage?
        Expensive car(s)?

If not then what have you got to lose? At the worst you'll fail and end up eating baked beans and watching the World Cup. At best you'll start to accumulate some of the above.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by oversteer View Post
          Seriously thinking about quitting and trying to get a front end developer contract, not sure I'd be able to get into financial roles as I have no experience.
          Your odd's of winnning a sizeable sum on the lotto are better than odd's of getting financial role with no experience, especially in web dev.

If you have no experience in finance look at contracts/rates of jobs on JS what do not specify "finance/banking xp" to determine if the jump is worth it

Comment

Yeah I'm not going to be looking at financial roles, I understand it'd be hard to get into. Rates outside it are fine for me.

Comment

Working...
            X