• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Books for chicks & kids

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Books for chicks & kids

Putting a big amazon order in (Cheaper to buy UK, pay no VAT and ship to Singapore than buy locally).

I'm ok with me, but gotta by some for the missus and the ids are growing out of the ones they've got (2 & 4).

Suggestions appreciated.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

"Dreams and Songs to Sing" for the missus, and anything featuring Spot the Dog for the kids.
    Sorted!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

2 & 4 might be a bit young for these suggestions, but two which have been very successful for us as bedtime stories are:

Horrid Henry stories (there are hundreds of them) - just the right length for bedtime, and funny enough to keep an adult entertained as well - Just William updated really.

The Little House books (three of them) - surprisingly different from the soppy TV series, actually quite tough and bleak, as well as heartwarming, obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        Horrid Henry stories (there are hundreds of them) - just the right length for bedtime, and funny enough to keep an adult entertained as well - Just William updated really.
        I'd also reccomend the Roald Dahl - Revolting Rhymes - hilarious and kids love them.
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

When I was a young boy, I used to love Struwwelpetter (cautionary tales for children) by Dr. Heinrich Hoffmann.

Among my favourites were the one about the boy who used to suck his thumb all the time until some wacky character with a giant pair of scissors leapt out from behind the curtains and cut his thumbs off. Beautifully illustrated too - blood spurting everywhere LOL! I also liked the one about the boy who used to tease black children until he fell in a giant bottle of ink and became black himself! Odlly enough, I used to get this from the local lending library. Sure it wouldn't be on their shelves these days!

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
            Putting a big amazon order in (Cheaper to buy UK, pay no VAT and ship to Singapore than buy locally).

I'm ok with me, but gotta by some for the missus and the ids are growing out of the ones they've got (2 & 4).

Suggestions appreciated.
            dr zeus - fox in soxs etc...
            4 yr - rainbow magic (series of books with fairies)
            2yr - topsy and tim.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
              When I was a young boy, I used to love Struwwelpetter (cautionary tales for children) by Dr. Heinrich Hoffmann.

Among my favourites were the one about the boy who used to suck his thumb all the time until some wacky character with a giant pair of scissors leapt out from behind the curtains and cut his thumbs off. Beautifully illustrated too - blood spurting everywhere LOL! I also liked the one about the boy who used to tease black children until he fell in a giant bottle of ink and became black himself! Odlly enough, I used to get this from the local lending library. Sure it wouldn't be on their shelves these days!
              Why is your spelling so tulipe?

Are you dyslexic/stupid/Labour educated?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                Why is your spelling so tulipe?

Are you dyslexic/stupid/Labour educated?
                Only spelling mistake there is the word odly. HArdly deserviving of critisicm churchy lol!

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                  Only spelling mistake there is the word odly. HArdly deserviving of critisicm churchy lol!
                  I wasn't referring to just that post oddly enough.

Comment

Winnie the Witch series really good.

Stuff by Julia Donaldson, Axel Scheffer?

For the missus...Dunno. Mine reads Maeve Binchy and Freya North. Not something I'd recommend but then again I don't keep her for her taste in literature

Comment

Working...
                    X