• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloemfontein and Sunday Tipples!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloemfontein and Sunday Tipples!

Fast forward to this Sunday, and in Bloemfontein, two sets of fans both renowned for their beer-guzzling qualities meet for a vital World Cup football match.
    What better way to calm the nerves than a few pre-match sherbets?
    The only problem being that in Bloemfontein on Sundays, it is illegal to serve alcohol.
    Great forward planning on the part of FIFA and the SA authorities, or just a massive mistake?
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

I'm sure you'll be able to get a drink in the fan park. Which is probably the point of the fan park...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I can't find any reference anywhere to there being no alcohol served in Bloemfontein on Sundays (or any other day). There are a few bars in Bloemfontein which have websites and show Sunday opening hours with no reference to alcohol bans.

The only reference I did find was to Danny Baker saying this on the radio, which may suggest wind-up?

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
        The only reference I did find was to Danny Baker saying this on the radio, which may suggest wind-up?
        To be fair, that is where I sourced the info.
        I am sure people will find a way round it anyway, where there's a will and all that!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          To be fair, that is where I sourced the info.
          I am sure people will find a way round it anyway, where there's a will and all that!
          Oh FFS, you've certainly gone down in my estimation. Danny Baker? Oh no!

Comment

I've been on a visit to the Orchid House inBloemfontein and seem to remember most everything was shut on a Sunday. What did open was just for a couple of hours in the afternoon. IIRC Not like there are that many bars anyway.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              SB is a good-natured yet gullible sort who'll believe any old nonsense fed his way. It's not his fault he didn't inherit too much up top.

HTH
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                I've been on a visit to the Orchid House inBloemfontein and seem to remember most everything was shut on a Sunday. What did open was just for a couple of hours in the afternoon. IIRC Not like there are that many bars anyway.
                When I was working in Lesotho, we went over the border into Bloemfontein a couple of times a week.

Awesome steaks, racist punters - our driver shared a drink with us when he came to pick us up once and one of the farm boys asked us to get "your munt" out of the bar.

Never went on a Sunday.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  Didn't realise that was possible!!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    SB is a good-natured yet gullible sort who'll believe any old nonsense fed his way.
                    Next you'll be telling me that the Tooth Fairy isn't real!!

Comment

Working...
                    X