• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weird looking train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird looking train

http://www.seat61.com/images/Norway-oresund-train.jpg

I’m just arranging my trip to the Stockholm Tens
    and while booking the train tickets I came across this picture of the Copenhagen to Stockholm train. What a strange looking contraption. Aside from the aesthetic eccentricities, I wonder how good the aerodynamics are at 160km/h.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

and while booking the train tickets I came across this picture of the Copenhagen to Stockholm train. What a strange looking contraption. Aside from the aesthetic eccentricities, I wonder how good the aerodynamics are at 160km/h.
    Oh my goodness... that seat61 is brilliant isn't it? Only found out about it when I was in trailfinders on Saturday - I've been a bit addicted to it since
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Probably rather good. The area in front of the cab will catch a cusion of air and hold it there. Oncoming air as the train moves forward will be pushed around this cusion with far less friction than any 'streamlined' surface.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Probably rather good. The area in front of the cab will catch a cusion of air and hold it there. Oncoming air as the train moves forward will be pushed around this cusion with far less friction than any 'streamlined' surface.
        Cobblers. That train is as aerodynamic as Dame Edna Everidge.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Cobblers. That train is as aerodynamic as Dame Edna Everidge.
          Wow, impressive, FEA and Laminar Airflow simulation all done by sight!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Cool theory. So why aren't more fast moving things shaped like that?

Comment

Cool theory. So why aren't more fast moving things shaped like that?
              A train is exceptionally long and thin, so the drag due to the overall surface area is the dominant factor in determining the drag coefficient. Having a blunt end isn't *that* big a deal.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                A train is exceptionally long and thin, so the drag due to the overall surface area is the dominant factor in determining the drag coefficient. Having a blunt end isn't *that* big a deal.
                No, but I'm trying to find ouot more about DaveB's theory that the cushion of air would be so effective.

Comment

No, but I'm trying to find ouot more about DaveB's theory that the cushion of air would be so effective.
                  It would make very little difference. The difference between a a blunt end, pointed end or (highly dubious) magical cushion of air is going to be tiny compared to the drag due to the overall surface area and turbulence underneath the train.

If aerodynamics have anything at all to do with the shape it's most likely because that shape means that when they join multiple trains the gap between carriages is less prominent which makes the overall train more aerodynamic.
                  Last edited by doodab; 24 June 2010, 15:19.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    It would make very little difference. The difference between a a blunt end, pointed end or magical cushion of air is going to be tiny compared to the drag due to the overall surface area and turbulence underneath the train.

If aerodynamics have anything at all to do with the shape it's most likely because that shape means that when they join multiple trains the gap between carriages is less prominent which makes the overall train more aerodynamic.
                    So why do very fast trains like TGVs, pendolinos, ICE and so on have an aerodynamic front end? Is it to keep the front on the ground? Does the effect of wind resistance increase exponentially with speed? Or is it just to look cool?

Comment

Working...
                    X