• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why didn't the emergency budget.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't the emergency budget.....

...talk about the most important threat to the human race for a million years?

Man Made Climate Change.

What's the point in wasting time and money tackling a £1 Trillion deficit when we should be spending everything we have banning CO2?

Or has the hysteria died down a bit now?

you have to admit there must be something wrong when the environment is producing prawns that look like yours

Comment

Cameron is due to tackle climate change this weekend. He's due to talk with Obama about BP and how they can pump that black gold out of the ground as fast as humanly possible and share the proceeds amicably.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudica View Post
        you have to admit there must be something wrong when the environment is producing prawns that look like yours
        You mean big and rather frightening.

Grrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          ...talk about the most important threat to the human race for a million years?

Man Made Climate Change.

What's the point in wasting time and money tackling a £1 Trillion deficit when we should be spending everything we have banning CO2?

Or has the hysteria died down a bit now?

Maybe not quite yet

The Japanese government has launched a campaign encouraging people to go to bed and get up extra early in order to reduce household carbon dioxide emissions.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It has been proven by several methods that railways are more environmentally damaging than cars. Yet they still run trains and these environmentalists bang on about how we should all use public transport and not cars.

It's about time they ripped up the tracks and tarmacadamed the whole lot.

Save the Earth and provide employment for ex-civil savants. Instead of using road-rollers y'know they could have them in lines, each with one of them pounding sticks, to level the tarmac.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
              It has been proven by several methods that railways are more environmentally damaging than cars. Yet they still run trains and these environmentalists bang on about how we should all use public transport and not cars.
              As with most things - it depends on how the numbers are crunched.

At one extreme, the CO2 used by a peak time commuter on the train they travel on is quite a big gap compared to a car journey. But when you factor in all the off-peak trains which are virtually empty, the gap is smaller. So far, not many arguments.

Where it starts to get fuzy is when you start to factor in the infrastructure costs (i.e. the CO2 footprint of the train crew, the ticketing staff, the maintenance staff) - and whether eqivalent considerations are made for road infrastructure costs.

Using the same considerations, nuclear power does have a meaningful CO2 footprint, such as the security staff that need to drive to work every day for 200 years after the plant has been decomissioned to guard the nuclear waste.
              Last edited by centurian; 25 June 2010, 07:31.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                As with most things - it depends on how the numbers are crunched.

At one extreme, the CO2 used by a peak time commuter on the train they travel on is quite a big gap compared to a car journey. But when you factor in all the off-peak trains which are virtually empty, the gap is smaller. So far, not many arguments.

Where it starts to get fuzy is when you start to factor in the infrastructure costs (i.e. the CO2 footprint of the train crew, the ticketing staff, the maintenance staff) - and whether eqivalent considerations are made for road infrastructure costs.

Using the same considerations, nuclear power does have a meaningful CO2 footprint, such as the security staff that need to drive to work every day for 200 years after the plant has been decomissioned to guard the nuclear waste.
                Even a fully loaded train is more environmentally damaging than if each person just drove a small car.

Once you factor in the infrastructure costs, the trains lose big style.

Most statistics I see, such as on the gov. environment website, compare a moving train to a complete car journey, i.e. totally bogus.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                  Even a fully loaded train is more environmentally damaging than if each person just drove a small car.

Once you factor in the infrastructure costs, the trains lose big style.

Most statistics I see, such as on the gov. environment website, compare a moving train to a complete car journey, i.e. totally bogus.
                  Government statistics?..................Totally Bogus??

This would never have happened under New Liebour!!!
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

It would be interesting to see a complete breakdown of costs of travel in various forms, including the cost of maintaining the infrastructure, i.e the real cost. Perhaps roads and rail would start to look less favourable than air, which doesn't need repaving/relaying every few years and isn't subsidised.

Comment

Working...
                    X