• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Job offers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job offers

If you were offered a job at an astronomic rate with a company doing something you disagreed with.
    Would you?

Decline based on your personal code of ethics.

Think to hell with it, its more money in my pocket.

Something else.

Originally posted by cnch View Post
    If you were offered a job at an astronomic rate with a company doing something you disagreed with.
    Would you?

Something else.
    This is exactly the sort of question that polls were invented for.

Comment

Would you?

Decline based on your personal code of ethics.Think to hell with it, its more money in my pocket.

Something else.
      You are a contractor............what is a "code of ethics"??
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        This is exactly the sort of question that polls were invented for.
        Possibly, but I always found it vaguely annoying when people select 'Other' because I want to know what 'Other' for them is.

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        You are a contractor............what is a "code of ethics"??
        You would be the second option.

Comment

Would you?

Something else.
          The code of ethics should have kicked in before applying. If you are at offer stage then the ethical question goes out of the window and think of the £££

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
            The code of ethics should have kicked in before applying. If you are at offer stage then the ethical question goes out of the window and think of the £££
            The offer came about because of your excellent reputation. Therefore no application required.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              Im not bothered what a company does to be honest.

It's more whether I am interested in the work.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I was once being considered for a position at Astra Zenica up north in Cheshire a few years ago. I got to the interview stage and was asked if I'd be comfortable working in a place where animal tests were carried out. I ermmed and arghhed and said that it could be acceptable in extreme cases but I think the rather disjointed nature of my reply didn't impress them and I wasn't offered the position, even though my interview was otherwise flawless. I can always tell when I've done well in an interview and I can say hand on heart that I did well in that particular one except for the response I gave to the query on animal testing. I have to say that now I would never consider a contract for any establishment that engages in the practice of animal testing no matter what the reason because I no longer think the end justifies the means under any circumstances.

Just to add some levity into the discussion, I'd like to add that I did once, however, work on a good Frankie Vaughan site whilst working as a permie a few years ago. No quibbles there about any ethical issues LOL!

Comment

I'd take the gig, pocket the cash and work to bring down the system from within!

Viva La Revolution Brothers!
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Possibly, but I always found it vaguely annoying when people select 'Other' because I want to know what 'Other' for them is.
                    Er, if it is your own poll then you can decide what options to offer.

FWIW, if it is legal then I will do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X