• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

working in canada

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

working in canada

Dear All, I am moving to canada, in early feb to vancouver, and would like any and all advice on the best way to find contracts, work and living in vancouver.

All advice appreciated..

John

Originally posted by jhorsfield30
    Dear All, I am moving to canada, in early feb to vancouver, and would like any and all advice on the best way to find contracts, work and living in vancouver.

All advice appreciated..

John

Well good luck!

But I can't be the only one thinking shouldn't this be sorted out before you leave? February is, after all, next week!

Comment

Most of Canada's IT Contract market is in the Toronto/Southern Ontario region. Vancouver probably offers the best quality of life in Canada, but the cost of living is quite high (lower than the UK though), but there isn't that big of an IT contractor market. Nonetheless, it is still possible to find good paying contract work, you will just have to look harder, than you would have to in the UK/Europe.

Do you have Canadian nationality as well? If you do, you can work in Seattle, where there's probably more opportunity. If you don't have Canadian nationality, do you have a work permit and more importantly a Social Insurance Number, for Canada? Without either one, you won't be able to work.

One of the more popular job boards for Canada is www.workopolis.com. Hopefully there'll be something to your interest on it!

Comment

Work Permits

Yeah, I have just got a work permit for 12months through BUNAC in the UK and had to wait 1 month for it. cost £150. Will get a SIN when I get there,

Comment

You do realise that you're going to miss the next series of Dr Who unless you've got someone to tape it for you... then you'll find that you can't play them on American vcrs... bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            You do realise that you're going to miss the next series of Dr Who.
            The CBC shows Dr. Who...www.cbc.ca

And you get to watch ice hockey...where the players are not as snobby, overpaid and underworked as footballers. They also usually don't have a full set of teeth either.

Sal
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
            X