• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calling all TV Geeks, Is this my best option?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all TV Geeks, Is this my best option?

Right guys,

I've managed to persuade myself to finally get rid of my huge rear projection TV, Still want a large screen so have decided to go for a 46" (Dorris says 50" is too big, managed to convince her 46" is much smaller). I want a Samsung as I like the look, this is what I've come up with: LINK

I don't know all that technical stuff all I know is it's FULL HD, not just HD ready bollox, can anyone tell me if i'm being mugged off, good TV..etc etc.

Cheers guys!
    l l l http://www.thewantedfans.com

How'd you edit the title? *Best

Comment

seems very good. Contrast 60,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, wow!
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I've absolutely no idea what that mean? Good though?

I did see this one LINK

Its the LE46B530 not C

Anyone have any idea of the difference??? Can't find a shop with both!

Comment

No idea about the model, try AVforums.

As usual get John Lewis to price match for a free 5 year warranty.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

1920 x 1080 pixels = Full HD

(although someone will probably correct me)

Samsung TVs are generally very very good value. Picture quality on ours is superb with only the occasional blip when upscaling (although ours is a 3 year old plasma so those should be ironed out)
            Big problem with cheaper sets is motion blur. From what I can see samsungs just don't have that issue at all.

The TV is only £617 on amazon. Get dixons to price match
            Last edited by Spacecadet; 25 June 2010, 15:10.
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
              Right guys,

I've managed to persuade myself to finally get rid of my huge rear projection TV, Still want a large screen so have decided to go for a 46" (Dorris says 50" is too big, managed to convince her 46" is much smaller). I want a Samsung as I like the look, this is what I've come up with: LINK

I don't know all that technical stuff all I know is it's FULL HD, not just HD ready bollox, can anyone tell me if i'm being mugged off, good TV..etc etc.

Cheers guys!
              Full HD is all well and good but there are currently only two sources of Full HD (1080p) images available. One is Blu-Ray and the other is a Playstation3. If you dont have one of these then depending on your outlook buying a 1080p screen now is either an investment against furture developements or a waste of money.

Everything else that says it's producing an HD signal is producing either either 1080i or 720p signals which corresponds to HD Ready ( Including Sky HD ). There is virtually nothing to choose between the two apart from price. 720p tends to be cheaper but the image quality can actually be better depending on what you are watching. For example 720p will give a better image for high speed action and for slow motion replays.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
                Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I've absolutely no idea what that mean? Good though?
                It means absolutely nothing: "In their quest to quote ever-larger numbers, some manufacturers invented a completely meaningless spec called 'dynamic contrast ratio,' which is what’s being prominently advertised now... So what’s really so 'dynamic' about this bastardized contrast-ratio spec? It’s really quite simple: When the display’s video signal is entirely black or very close to black, the display’s electronics go into a standby mode that significantly reduces the light output of the unit. This much darker standby value is then used when computing the contrast ratio—instead of the real value of when a picture is actually present."

More at Display Myths Shattered: How Monitor & HDTV Companies Cook Their Specs

Comment

Not sure what your budget is but Samsungs 3D TV's have been getting good reviews.

OK, 3D is a gimmick but the reviews are still good when ignoring the 3D capabilities.

Personally, I'd have gone for a Pioneer plasma but they have pulled out of the market.

Panasonic have bought their Kuro technology but not sure if they have started to incorporate it into their sets yet - would be worth investigating.

Comment

I happened to see this exact model of samsung in Costco this morning

For just over £600 it was a lot of TV for the money.Nice picture although the colours were showroom bright.

Now that the LED and 3D Tv's are coming onto the market the LCD TV's should be dropping in proce and providing a few bargins, like this one!
                    A similar size LED TV will be well over £1000
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X