• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Star gazing.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star gazing.

No, not watching for phoney 'celebs'! The cosmos!

I've always had an interest in things astronomical. And as Sir Patrick Moore once said 'if you cant tell mars from uranus, you arent borrowing my telescope any more! So, been thinking about buying a scope since last christmas but as I had to watch what I spent, decided to leave it for the time being.

Well, Im looking again and need recommendations for a good telescope to start my star gazing with. Two I've looked at are the Celestron 4 se at around £379

Celestron NexStar 4 SE Telescope

and the Celestron 5 se at around £629

Celestron NexStar 5 SE Telescope

Beauty of these and others I may add, is the computer gizmo that can navigate round the celestial sky for you which, Id imagine would be a boon for a beginner. As one gets more knowledgable, you'd obviously start navigating yourself if you wished.

Any one 'out there' into astronomy and got advice on telescopes to buy? Dont really want to go above £650. The ability to have the scope navigate around the sky (yes, I know you have to do the initial set up with most of them first), be able to take pictures via an attached camera would be nice as would linking the scope to a laptop.

Any ideas?
    Ta.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

When Alfred J Pruffock's TARDIS gets him back here he will be the man for this thread.

Comment

I'd save your money if I were you. I am sure that Google Galaxy will be available shortly.

Comment

I was taking the piss, thought I had better check, and it already exists.

Google Sky

It doesn't look as satisfactory as looking at the real thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

I was taking the piss, thought I had better check, and it already exists.

Google Sky

It doesn't look as satisfactory as looking at the real thing though.
          Had it for a while, works quite well picking out the star names for you, could imagine it would be good if you had kids.

Drains the battery like nothing on earth though.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            No, not watching for phoney 'celebs'! The cosmos!

I've always had an interest in things astronomical. And as Sir Patrick Moore once said 'if you cant tell mars from uranus, you arent borrowing my telescope any more! So, been thinking about buying a scope since last christmas but as I had to watch what I spent, decided to leave it for the time being.

Well, Im looking again and need recommendations for a good telescope to start my star gazing with. Two I've looked at are the Celestron 4 se at around £379

Celestron NexStar 4 SE Telescope

and the Celestron 5 se at around £629

Celestron NexStar 5 SE Telescope

Beauty of these and others I may add, is the computer gizmo that can navigate round the celestial sky for you which, Id imagine would be a boon for a beginner. As one gets more knowledgable, you'd obviously start navigating yourself if you wished.

Any one 'out there' into astronomy and got advice on telescopes to buy? Dont really want to go above £650. The ability to have the scope navigate around the sky (yes, I know you have to do the initial set up with most of them first), be able to take pictures via an attached camera would be nice as would linking the scope to a laptop.

Any ideas?
            Ta.

If you can find a refractor rather than a reflector at the same diameter go for that, inch or inch you're far better off with a refractor.

You do not need the fancy computer controlled scopes for our backyards unless you searching for deep sky objects, in which case you really need to be out in the countryside.

I used to have a 4 inch reflector and could find jupiter and saturn easily enough through the small scope first.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              If you can find a refractor rather than a reflector at the same diameter go for that, inch or inch you're far better off with a refractor.

You do not need the fancy computer controlled scopes for our backyards unless you searching for deep sky objects, in which case you really need to be out in the countryside.

I used to have a 4 inch reflector and could find jupiter and saturn easily enough through the small scope first.
              How do these cope when living in sort of built up areas (I'm kinda in the sticks, on the edge of a village), i'm thinking light pollution. Was thinking of buying Mr N a scope as a pressie.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                How do these cope when living in sort of built up areas (I'm kinda in the sticks, on the edge of a village), i'm thinking light pollution. Was thinking of buying Mr N a scope as a pressie.
                It's rubbish here. Just got a cheap telescope (which isn't bad), but the tripod is very cheap so we get a lot of vibration.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points
                Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  It's rubbish here. Just got a cheap telescope (which isn't bad), but the tripod is very cheap so we get a lot of vibration.
                  unfortunately he doesn't do cheap.

I think I'll use it an an incentive for him to do well on his masters
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

What about this one: Meade ETX80 Telescope Package

I've been toying with the idea for a while too.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X