• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Had to turn off Glastonbury

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to turn off Glastonbury

Muse

What a pile of old tripe.

Whine, whine, whine.

Could someone please expalin why these guys are popular?

At least the Pet Shop Boys were entertaining.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Muse

Whine, whine, whine.

I was there today - It was brilliant !!

Comment

Watched the Pet Shop Boys. I'll watch Muse tomorrow.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Watched the Pet Shop Boys. I'll watch Muse tomorrow.
        Don't bother.

Whinge musak.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Muse

Whine, whine, whine.

It's interesting that you use the word 'whine', norrahe.

For many years I've categorised bands like this as 'whingey-whiney'.

Bands like Travis, and Radiohead. FFS cheer up!
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
            It's interesting that you use the word 'whine', norrahe.

For many years I've categorised bands like this as 'whingey-whiney'.

Bands like Travis, and Radiohead. FFS cheer up!
            They do sound like a bad version of Radiohead, hence the reason I pressed the red button and went stright to the PSB for some feel good pop tunes

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Watched both of them tonight.
              I thought both Muse and PSBs were both on form, good tunes.

Scissor sisters were also good although asked the missus if she thought they were gay, just before the lead singer walked on stage wearing laddered tights and a kinky leotard. We were in fits of laughs!

Comment

Some bands just get too enveloped in their musicianship.

Muse are rock jazz, they know how to hit loads of notes in a short space of time with complicated progressions and clever chords but they cannot make up a melody or a hook.

Comment

Only saw part of the Muse set but thought they were pretty good.
                  PSBs were okayish..............if you like that sort of thing.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Having worked for several years in the commercial radio branch of the music industry, I can answer that one. They're popular because:
                    1. Some record company spent money to promote them through airplay, advertising, and so forth;

2. The vast majority of people just accept that whatever they're given to listen to is what they like.

This is why the weekly meetings to decide the playlist for mainstream commercial radio stations are largely driven by market research. For example, when I was at one large commercial radio operator with about fifty local stations covering much of England, Charlotte Church's Crazy Chick stayed on the playlist for around four months (although played decreasingly often) because the figures showed that it was popular with the target demographic, which was (and I quote): "25- to 45-year old ABC1 females". (Or, as the guy who interviewed me for the gig put it, "Music for housewives.")

Obviously, Muse (Who they? Ed.) aren't aimed at that demographic, but rest assured that the good people at stations like Xfm ("Indy," as far as I gathered from sharing a kitchen with them at the offices in Leicester Square, and currently promoting Muse as their "Artist of the Week") operate in exactly the same manner. So does Classic FM.

In other words: what the lowest common denominator likes is what you get, because the lowest common denominator is the demographic that maximises the return on advertising spend. The music industry exists primarily for the purpose of selling advertising slots on the radio; the music is almost completely irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                    X