• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good news, cap on Migration.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news, cap on Migration.

Cap on Migration

BBC News - Interim cap on non-EU migrant workers coming to UK

Julia Onslow-Cole, of PricewaterhouseCoopers, told the BBC that every overseas national brought by firms into the UK cost them three times as much as hiring a resident worker.
    Don't make me laugh!

The Bangladesh Caterers' Association - which represents 12,000 Asian restaurants across the UK - says a cap on immigration will have a serious effect on their ability to recruit skilled chefs from outside the EU to work in the UK.
    Maybe they will train up some of the unemployed Bangledeshi people in the UK (whop have the highest level of unemployment) if the only way they can get chefs is from a particular ethnic group to warm up the pre prepared sauces? I doubt I would see the British Caterers' Association (if one is allowed to exist) suggest something as overtly racist.

The Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC), which represents the UK's £27bn private recruitment industry, also said it was concerned the cap would lead to greater skills shortages and would affect the delivery of social care in some areas.
    No more cheap Phillipino nurses to exploit then? Maybe the Philippine health service might recover. The agencies might have to lower their mark up as well.

"The tough Australian-style points system introduced by Labour has already had a big impact on bringing down migrant numbers and closed the door to unskilled workers from outside the EU.
    yep its gone UP!

7 out of the 9 comments are pro immigration, I wonder if that is a balanced reflection of the comments? Or maybe BBC bias?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Telegraph: Immigrant workers 'need private health insurance'

But read on ......

But it emerged one of the largest routes for skilled foreign workers could be exempt from any final limit leaving tens of thousands unaffected each year.

A consultation document on introducing a cap on non-EU migrant workers questioned whether intra-company transfers, which account for almost half of new skilled migrants, should be included in the limit.

Miss May has tried to play down concerns from the business community over the plans, emphasising that their needs will be taken into account.
    Yep, nice little back hander and it's all sorted. Bob is BOOOOOOOOOMMMMMED.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

oh nice.

I'm going into flower arranging.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

At least intra-company transfers are existing employees in larger companies, not so much chance of false qualifications etc.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Actually against caps myself, very artificial system that means person/company that apply first get the visa, not the best/most needed

What they need is to actually fix the system to stop abuses, things like firing whole departments, ‘on shoring’ to an Indian company and then pretending they are not replacing existing UK workers with ICT’s. Should be huge penalties for that kind of stuff

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            At least intra-company transfers are existing employees in larger companies, not so much chance of false qualifications etc.
            What some companies do is hire a guy, who works for them in their native land for six months, then get him over to the UK on ICT. And some of those guys have lied on their CV to get the work. Because UK companies can get non-EU skilled workers this way quite cheaply, at relatively low risk, there is a reasonable demand. The bigger the demand, the fewer the CV checks, so you end up with someone not qualified and with no experience taking the place of a highly skilled local worker. And the bad job the chancers have done doesn't become apparent for a few years, by which time the bosses have all got their bonuses.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I stand corrected on that. Obviously ICTs are a problem for contractors anyway, genuine or not.

PS Not me though as retired. SNEER!!!
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I take it all this will have no impact on the practice of a company over here sponsoring an individual and then selling him on as a service to different companies which is being heavily abused by certain well known companies? This person being a 'service resource' and not an individual by name will get around the cap somehow?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What the hell do that shower of tulipe in the PCG actually do? Everyone and their dog is getting piled in today giving reasons against this cap.

Not one of them could be bothered to get their fat soggy arse out their scratcher and mumble something to a reporter.

If anyone is actually paying a subscription to that squad I would cancel the direct debit and burn the cash amount on a cold night, then you might get something for the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    What the hell do that shower of tulipe in the PCG actually do? Everyone and their dog is getting piled in today giving reasons against this cap.

Not one of them could be bothered to get their fat soggy arse out their scratcher and mumble something to a reporter.

If anyone is actually paying a subscription to that squad I would cancel the direct debit and burn the cash amount on a cold night, then you might get something for the cost.
                    Aye.
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X