• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General Q's

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Q's

Hello all,

I'm currently on my second contract and just wanted to gauge what the consesus is relating to a few qeuries I have so if any of you could reply to reassure me am doing the right this (or ideed let me knwo I'm doing the wrong thing) that woudl be top!

1) How long before the end of a contract do you start looking for another contract?
    2) How do you generally approach agencies? See a job advertised - submit CV - Phone them or just send CV's direct to agencies to see if they have anything avaialble ??
    3) How much do you use networking (ex collegues etc) to find positions?

...think thats about it.

My answers are:

1) I start around 6 weeks before, looking for high rate jobs in location I want, then start opening up my search criteria as it gets closer to contract end date.
    2) Fin the job, submit CV, phone agency. I've never go direct to agenct though this could be the wrong approach.
    3) Both my contracts so far have been found via people I know personally.

Thanks from a newbie on here,
    Brocky

1) How long before the end of a contract do you start looking for another contract?
    I start having a look around 4-6 weeks just in case a gem comes up that it is worth negotiating an early release but it would have to be a belter for me to not see a contract through. The last 2 weeks is really the time I would start applying. Every contract I have done I interviewed middle of one week and started the Monday after with no option to delay even if I wanted so 2 weeks seems fine. Also all the extensions I have had were given in the final week so still time right up to the last day.
    2) How do you generally approach agencies? See a job advertised - submit CV - Phone them or just send CV's direct to agencies to see if they have anything avaialble ??
    I scan the job boards and just apply for positons that I am a pefect fit for. I don't bother with speculative applications, far too many people going for roles at the moment for this to work IMO. I also mail past gigs that I enjoyed and make them aware I will be available within the month and would like the opportunity to work with them again. I do not bother spamming the agencies as I just don't think it is worth the effort. I don't most of them proactively search their databases anyway.

3) How much do you use networking (ex collegues etc) to find positions?
    I mail past managers / agencies to advise my release dates and if they have anything but I have not been out of work for more than 2 months ever which doesn't give previous clients time to raise paperwork etc even if they did want me. I have been told by previous clients they want me and to hang on which came to nothing so I look after number 1. First decent contract to hit the table gets it. I have not yet even bothered with LinkedIn. I haven't needed it and seriously doubt it's effectiveness but that might just be situational for me.

HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X