• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another sy01 bedwetting thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another sy01 bedwetting thread

It's been a while since we had one of these. ClientCo has a system that was built last year, then redesigned. Both times the system was not up to scratch and no one used it. Since my most recent successes I was assigned to redesign. I started well, identified the root cause of the problem, proposed a new design. All good.

Since then I have had an uphill struggle in getting people to attend meetings and go through the requirements. This has meant that to hit the deadlines I have to get this feedback no later than Wednesday and then work through the night writing it all up.

This morning only one stakeholder turned up. I hit the roof. Sometimes, you have to accept that no matter how hard you try for a client, if they aren't bothered there is nothing you can do.

The end result is I have to close the study with minimal input from the business which means that politically the same thing will happen, they won't use it. Ergo I have have failed, from circumstances beyond my control.

And they want me to sign an extension to the end of the year, but I am so pissed off right now that pastures new seems like the only option for my sanity.

Anyone been in this position before? I know there will be those on here that say that as long as you can invoice there is no problem, but I do like to work on projects where you occasionally get the ball batted back over the net to you. And when you have lost this much heart, you question what is the point. If I have lost heart, and ClientCo cannot be bothered then from a professional standpoint something needs to be said.

I have escalated to the powers that be, and the support has been minimal.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Are you still getting paid?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Are you still getting paid?
      FFS

Comment

If people aren't using a system it's because they don't need to. Design is neither here nor there. Of course make the system useable, but unless they see you taking serious steps to take away whatever they're currently using instead, you'll never get buy-in.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          I have escalated to the powers that be, and the support has been minimal.
          You're not going high enough up the food chain. Keep going up until you get an acceptable response.

Comment

FFS
            What's your ******* problem?

Do the work you're asked to do.

It's not your job to effect attitudinal change in your clientco environment. Unless it's your job to effect attitudinal change in your clientco environment, but I doubt it, as you're a BA IIRC?
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Do the work you're asked to do.

It's not your job to effect attitudinal change in your clientco environment. Unless it's your job to effect attitudinal change in your clientco environment, but I doubt it, as you're a BA IIRC?
              This work depends on others. I have done the work I have been asked to do, and done it very well. I have been with ClientCo since October last year. Before I got there the longest a BA lasted was 3 months.

The point here is I have just had enough.

Comment

The point here is I have just had enough.
                Well done on being ok at your job.

Contractors always get the tulipty end of the stick: deal with it, or find a new stick with less tulip on it.

Comment

WHS.
                  The answer as I see it, is that you're up your own arse.
                  HTH, but IDI.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    WHS.
                    The answer as I see it, is that you're up your own arse.
                    HTH, but IDI.
                    Sorry SAS, this is a contracting problem for contractors. Thanks for you input, but **** you, seriously.

Comment

Working...
                    X