• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Isle of Man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isle of Man

Anyone lived there, worked there?

Any tips on what it's likeas a place, apart from the Tax regieme?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Never lived there but I guess it should be hard to live with no woman around ?
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      Never lived there but I guess it should be hard to live with no woman around ?
      I was planning on taking one with me
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        Plenty of pubs and friendly locals.

Comment

Thats like taking a sack of rice to China.

I've never been anywhere else where the girls are so up for it. They need new genes you see and they got plenty of mine.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I went to this about 15 years ago.

It was brilliant.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              No woman, calloused hands and crispy curtains.
              ftfy.

Btw, just ask her out!

Comment

I have done some long contracts in IOM and I can say it is the most boring place I have been on Earth. It has two seasons, the rainy season and the very rainy season. Pups and hotels are like the UK in the 60s. If you like hill walking (in the rain) than it’s for you. There are signs around the island warning people not to swim in the sea because it too polluted.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  I have done some long contracts in IOM and I can say it is the most boring place I have been on Earth. It has two seasons, the rainy season and the very rainy season. Pups and hotels are like the UK in the 60s. If you like hill walking (in the rain) than it’s for you. There are signs around the island warning people not to swim in the sea because it too polluted.
                  Sounds like Southend.......

Comment

Made 7 brief trips there back in 1997 whilst working as a Project Manager for Ericsson.
                    Locals have a kind of scouse accent, but are pretty friendly I found. Think they were just glad to see a new face.
                    Had it described to me prior to my first visit as 60,000 drunks clinging to a rock in the Irish Sea. A valid assessment if slightly harsh.
                    They still believe in fairies and pixies etc., so take from that what you will.
                    Good idea to take your own woman too.
                    Also travelled to Guernsey a lot during the same Project and, FWIW, had I been asked to choose then the IOM would have won every time.

HTH
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X