• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got one of those portable aircon units?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got one of those portable aircon units?

And if so:

1) Do you put the "exhaust" tube out of the window? Seems to negate the idea of aircon if you need the wondow open?
    2) can you sleep with them on or are they too noisy?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And if so:

1) Do you put the "exhaust" tube out of the window? Seems to negate the idea of aircon if you need the wondow open?
    1 Yes; it blows hot air out of the window.

2 If you have a good modern one, perhaps, but best to insist you hear it in the shop. I don't sleep with ours on; I use it to cool the upstairs floor before going to bed, then maybe for 10 minutes if I wake up sweaty in the night.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Best way to keep cool at night is to pop the wife in the freezer during the day.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        1 Yes; it blows hot air out of the window.

2 If you have a good modern one, perhaps, but best to insist you hear it in the shop. I don't sleep with ours on; I use it to cool the upstairs floor before going to bed, then maybe for 10 minutes if I wake up sweaty in the night.
        So it works even if the window is open to let the pipe out?
        What model do you have?
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

So it works even if the window is open to let the pipe out?
          What model do you have?
          Can't remember the brand; something Italian; PM me tomorrow; I'll be at home and can have a look.

But yeah, you need the window open (not fully open, just enough to push the pipe out). I then put the curtain around the 'gap'.

Better is a custom made ventilation hole in the wall.

Comment

Can't remember the brand; something Italian; .
            De Longhi most probably ...
            Thanks for the advice.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

De Longhi most probably ...
              Thanks for the advice.
              That's the one. It has a 3 year guarantee and it's one of the quietest you'll find; still audible, but I don't know how well you sleep with noise.

Comment

Just thought; you need to think of the area you're trying to cool; you need about 100BTU of cooling power per square metre. A 7500 BTU machine will cool a large room or a floor in an small to average house.

Comment

Better is a custom made ventilation hole in the wall.
                  But iffy if you are renting. I considered getting one when I had several computers in my home office, but managed fine by keeping the windows front and back open.

My experience of air conditioned hotel rooms says "it depends". If buying one myself I'd want a realistic test first.

Useless factoid: In the mid 1980s we wanted a load of a/c units for our offices, of the type which fit into a window. The cheapest to be found were made in Israel.
                  Last edited by Sysman; 30 June 2010, 10:19.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Just thought; you need to think of the area you're trying to cool; you need about 100BTU of cooling power per square metre. A 7500 BTU machine will cool a large room or a floor in an small to average house.
                    Cheers Mich will keep that in mind. Was leaning towards the De longhi ones anyway as they're the best looking and some of the others are really bulky- nice to know they work well too.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X