• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flight disruption and compensation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight disruption and compensation

Perhaps slightly off-the general theme but is anyone pursuing a claim for compensation as a result of the Volcano ash disruption that happened in April?

BA have kicked my initial request back by saying the flight wasn't delayed by 10 days...could anyone advise/suggest the possible next steps I should take to address this?

I didn't put an inflated claim in, I only want to try and get what it genuinely cost me to stay on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Doubt you'll get more than the (mandatory?) €200 odd.

You're better off going through your travel insurance company.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      Doubt you'll get more than the (mandatory?) €200 odd.

Thanks. 200 euro? - is that related to the EU directive, will have to have a look.

I don't have travel insurance...

Comment

Originally posted by stillooking View Post
        Thanks. 200 euro? - is that related to the EU directive, will have to have a look.

Then you appear to be up a certain creek with no visible means of propulsion I am afraid.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

What are you claiming for ? Did you put yourself up in a hotel while your flight was delayed and claiming back those expenses ?
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Perhaps slightly off-the general theme but is anyone pursuing a claim for compensation as a result of the Volcano ash disruption that happened in April?

BA have kicked my initial request back by saying the flight wasn't delayed by 10 days...could anyone advise/suggest the possible next steps I should take to address this?

I didn't put an inflated claim in, I only want to try and get what it genuinely cost me to stay on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
            You should be able to claim if you are an EU citizen and your flight is delayed by more than 5 hours. You should get food and accomodation but no extra 'inconvienience' money. If you ask for a refund instead of rerouting you wouldn't be entitled to any accomodation/food costs after you got the refund.

See Section 2 in EUROPA - Press Releases - Volcanic Ash Crisis: Frequently Asked Questions.

Also a readable bit from BBC BBC News - Iceland volcano: Air passenger rights.
            Loopy Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Not by much. Most of the insurance companies refused to pay out.

We put a £1200 claim into Amex, who paid out under their "Travel Inconvenience" clause which is a maximum of £300 per traveller (which just about covered the first two nights in Hong Kong).

After that, Amex also refunded £300 to the card as a goodwill payment.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                What are you claiming for ? Did you put yourself up in a hotel while your flight was delayed and claiming back those expenses ?

Yes, I'm claiming for the 9 or 10 days + basic living costs.

Comment

Originally posted by lje View Post
                  You should be able to claim if you are an EU citizen and your flight is delayed by more than 5 hours. You should get food and accomodation but no extra 'inconvienience' money. If you ask for a refund instead of rerouting you wouldn't be entitled to any accomodation/food costs after you got the refund.

See Section 2 in EUROPA - Press Releases - Volcanic Ash Crisis: Frequently Asked Questions.

Also a readable bit from BBC BBC News - Iceland volcano: Air passenger rights.

Thanks for that, I had a look at the EU directive and I do believe I could claim, but if BA are trying it on and just saying it wasn't cancelled, well that requires a different approach.

Comment

You have got to be kidding??? Seriously?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X