• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lest we forget...Lions led by Donkeys!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lest we forget...Lions led by Donkeys!!

94 years ago today saw the first day of the Battle of the Somme. That first morning alone brought almost 60,000 British casualties, a third of whom died.
    The 20,000 that died equates to wiping out Wootton Bassett's entire population almost twice over, just to get an idea of the scale of the slaughter.
    This battle then raged on for months, and the carnage was colossal. And it was only one of the pointless battles that took place.
    Worth sparing a few moments I feel for those who perished in "The war to end all wars" so that we might enjoy the privileges we have today.
    They shall not grow old...etc.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

<Hat doffed>

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Lions led by donkeys
      Were you perchance ever an officer during your service days?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

BBC - History - World Wars: The Western Front: Lions Led by Donkeys?

Just for balance.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
          Were you perchance ever an officer during your service days?
          I think the British Army has moved on from having gormless twunts as officers
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Still not quite right, Foch and Rawlinson both said the plan wouldn't work as envisaged. Rawlinson himself was more in favour of a 'bite and hold' strategy that he'd seen the Germans using successfully.

And I don't believe for one second Haig actually thought a cavalry charge through the hole would ever happen: seriously, if you've just created a few hundred thousand shell craters there's not going to be any charging, anywhere; it was just on the plan to make the politicians happy.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              I think the British Army has moved on from having gormless twunts as officers
              Ahem, remember the Major on WWTBAM ?
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Still not quite right, Foch and Rawlinson both said the plan wouldn't work as envisaged. Rawlinson himself was more in favour of a 'bite and hold' strategy that he'd seen the Germans using successfully.

And I don't believe for one second Haig actually thought a cavalry charge through the hole would ever happen: seriously, if you've just created a few hundred thousand shell craters there's not going to be any charging, anywhere; it was just on the plan to make the politicians happy.
                Some things never change ......

Comment

Indeed. "Myths and Legends of the First World War" by James Hayward has a good chapter on that point.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Indeed. "Myths and Legends of the First World War" by James Hayward has a good chapter on that point.
                    TL your signature requires a ref i.e D H Lawrence, unless you is he ?

Comment

Working...
                    X