• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you not go on a booked holiday to secure a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you not go on a booked holiday to secure a contract?

My contract finishes in 3 weeks. I have a two week notice.

I have been asked by a new clientco to start immediately. They have said that at max they will wait for a two week notice, but this has only occurred because the two other candidates screwed up their interviews.

I have a holiday booked in 4 weeks with the inlaws, missus and kids.

My missus wants me to tell the new client I have a holiday booked(one week after I start with them). I have told her, this would be unacceptable and that they would subsequently not offer me the contract in the first place! She can still go with her, the inlaws, kids and her sister and family. I would just work on. The role is for two months, 3 miles from the house and on £400 per day.

My question is.... Would you cancel a holiday to secure the role, or say balls I'm going on holiday and take pot luck?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Take the role. join missus and kids for the (long?) weekend, take an extravagent pressie for your wife.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      Take the role. join missus and kids for the (long?) weekend, take an extravagent pressie for your wife.
      Holiday is Mon - Fri. I'm booked to work in the shop on the weekend anyway!!!

Comment

Depends on finances obviously. But I work to live, not live to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightship
          Seriously, if you can't afford NOT to take a two-month contract, I would say you have more important things to worry about.
          I can afford not to work. But it's like a gift horse. 5 minutes from the house, not bad rate, massive company and high chance of getting in on other projects.

Its about opportunity & reward versus risk.

The next offer could be 1.5 hour commute away!

Comment

Still think you should do the holiday. Shows the family that they are more important to you than a few (thousand) quid...

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
              Still think you should do the holiday. Shows the family that they are more important to you than a few (thousand) quid...
              Seeing as your missus is taking no responsibilty for earning, I say take the contract. It will be a holiday while she is away.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Its about opportunity & reward versus risk.

The next time she talks to me could be 1.5 years away!
                Just offering an alternative perspective.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'd tell them about the holiday and if they can't deal with it, then move on and look for something else.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Take the role.
                    Sounds like a brammer, and a good "in" for future work.
                    The missus will come round.............eventually...........they always do.
                    You will get earache for it sure, but if it was not for that it would only be for some other hormonally-skewed notion anyway.
                    You know it makes sense.
                    Besides, a holiday with the in-laws and various other family groups? Sounds like a real recipe for disaster!

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X