• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky TV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky TV

We have been a previous customer of Sky in the last 12 months but don't currently subscribe.

We want to upgrade to Sky + with all premium channels. Any advice on the cheapest way to do this? I know if you are a new customer you get half price package for 4 months and a Sky + box for 89 pounds. But some people have mentioned that you don't need to be a new customer, there are deals for existing customers or previous customers but you just need to know how to play the game with Sky to get a good deal. Any ideas? If we changed the name from me to my wife would they view that as being a new customer (I doubt it!).

Any sensible suggestions welcome!

I've just resubscribed and taken advantage of the new SKy deal by changing the name on the contract from my wife's to mine. (It was in her maiden name so we just cancelled and signed up again via the website).

If you have an existing contract there should be no need to pay over the odds. Ask them nicely if you can have the same deal as new customers and they'll come up with something much more attractive. As a last resort, threaten to cancel altogether.

I think the fact you're not currently susbcribing will mean they will do all in their power to give you the best available deal.

Comment

We have only just cancelled about 6 weeks ago because I was pissed off that we had to pay 260 quid or so for a Sky+ box when new customers get them for between 50-100 quid.

Someone has told me that we should have spoken to their cancellations department before we cancelled to air our views (as you suggested) and we would have been offered a better deal. But now that we have cancelled I'm not sure where we stand!

Comment

Originally posted by jason986
        We have only just cancelled about 6 weeks ago because I was pissed off that we had to pay 260 quid or so for a Sky+ box when new customers get them for between 50-100 quid.

Someone has told me that we should have spoken to their cancellations department before we cancelled to air our views (as you suggested) and we would have been offered a better deal. But now that we have cancelled I'm not sure where we stand!
        Just sign up again via the website. Use a different surname if that's an option. I though we would have to explain why we were signing up again, but no questions were asked. If you can't sign up with a different surname sign up in a different Christian name and tell them you've just bought the house off your brother and then set up the payment standing order from a different bank or credit card account. There will be no comeback as they want your custom at the end of the day.

They would have given you a better deal if you had spoken to them by the way.

Comment

Jason, you're quite correct. It's called negotiation. As I understand it, Sky doesn't have a "Cancellation Dept" per se, it's called a "Customer Retention" department - the clue is in the title...

Comment

Churchill - I know I know I know

But I didn't think these sort of things were negotiable.

In future I must take the view that everything in life is negotiable, you just may not succeed in getting what you want, but try anyway!!

Jason

Comment

I am an existing SKY plus customer and wanted SKY+ for Christmas plus multi-room. Even though the "offer" for this package had ran out I rang them and negotiated the same deal as they were giving new customers - i.e £40 for the extra box plus £10 a month for the extra box (including all the channels I already subscribed to)

Didn't think that was too bad.

Comment

Just signed up with wifes details, same surname, different bank account and it seems to have been accepted. May be we'll get a call from them shortly telling us to get lost! Its worth a try anyway for half price package for 4 months plus Sky+ for 89 pounds.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                X