• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Knowledge harvesting (or IP rip off)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knowledge harvesting (or IP rip off)

Before the end of my contract I've been asked to attend a knowledge harvesting interview. I'm a bit irritated by this cos the initial request which I agreed to was a more informal knowledge sharing chat.

I don't think I'll accept this invite...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Before the end of my contract I've been asked to attend a knowledge harvesting interview. I'm a bit irritated by this cos the initial request which I agreed to was a more informal knowledge sharing chat.

I don't think I'll accept this invite...
    Surely this is a just handover.

Anyway, you've only been there a month. Have you come on to the IT director again?

Oh Cojak (canned laughter)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The contract was only for 3 months in the public sector. And there are handovers and 'let's suck your expertise from you to tell us in detail how we're going to do this job, because we haven't the first clue'.

I don't mind telling them the 'what' and the 'why', it's the 'how' I object to.

And the people asking aren't my project!
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

The contract was only for 3 months in the public sector. And there are handovers and 'let's suck your expertise from you to tell us in detail how we're going to do this job, because we haven't the first clue'.

And the people asking aren't my project!
        I had this a number of years back from Tata. I had been working on the National Program for a client & was the data migration manager for a number of legacy systems. We had reengineered the software and created a suite of tools.

I left and interviewed with each of the major bidders(most were in leeds which i didnt fancy the commute) and eventually agreed a deal with Tata. £80K fixed contract with six weeks holiday.

They then asked me to go to Delhi and set up a University course in NHS Legacy systems, brain dumping everything I knew.

I told them to stuff it.

Comment

Before the end of my contract I've been asked to attend a knowledge harvesting interview.
          Why so touchy about a 10-minute jamboree??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Cause if she gives them a piece of her mind, she isn't going to have much left!

Comment

So don't. Keep it at a level which is high enough to keep the appropriate knowledge in your head, but at a level which they think they are getting the right detail.

Obfuscate the how somewhat, but in a way that the client isn't going to realize that. If the people aren't on your project, they are hardly going to know, are they?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

If it was only 10 minutes I wouldn't mind. It's the 2 hour structured interview I'm not doing!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  So don't. Keep it at a level which is high enough to keep the appropriate knowledge in your head, but at a level which they think they are getting the right detail.

Obfuscate the how somewhat, but in a way that the client isn't going to realize that. If the people aren't on your project, they are hardly going to know, are they?
                  True, true...

Comment

If it was only 10 minutes I wouldn't mind. It's the 2 hour structured interview I'm not doing!
                    Get "inventive" with the lollipop. That ought to kill an hour or so. After that, you can tell them anything!

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X