• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency will not pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency will not pay

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie just registered.

I had to leave a contract due to my gf having a bit of a breakdown at the moment, and thus could not concentrate on job working away from home. I gave them the week notice stipulated in the contract. Client signed my last 2 timesheets and we departed quite amicably. That is until the agency approached them for payment, they refuse to honour the time sheets. In return the agency will not pay me. All this in a time of personal crisis, when I need the money more than ever.

Any one got any ideas on where I stand legally?

Many thanks.

If all is at face value and as you present it, you are legally in the right. If you are "opted in" it is illegal for the agency to refuse to pay you on the grounds that they have not themselves been paid. If you are "opted out" it would seem that they are in breach of contract in any case.

Find a local contract solicitor (from a personal recommendation if possible) and take advantage of their initial free consultation to find out your options. Search these boards, several people here have (or are in the process of) taken their agents to court successfully for unpaid fees.

You may find they pay up at the sight of a solicitor's letter, but you may have to go to court to get your money. Have you the stomach for the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by NMA fanatic
      Hi everyone, I'm a newbie just registered.

I had to leave a contract due to my gf having a bit of a breakdown at the moment, and thus could not concentrate on job working away from home. I gave them the week notice stipulated in the contract. Client signed my last 2 timesheets and we departed quite amicably. That is until the agency approached them for payment, they refuse to honour the time sheets. In return the agency will not pay me. All this in a time of personal crisis, when I need the money more than ever.

Any one got any ideas on where I stand legally?

Many thanks.
      Did you keep copies of the timesheets and any emails etc that show the client split was amicable? If so take these along to the solicitor as well as they show that you acted in good faith. Otherwise you will be into a your word against theirs situation and thats going to be a tough and long ride.

Comment

It is much easier to get a girlfriend than a contract.

What are you going to do the next time she's feeling a little flaky?

Get rid and find one that doesn't break down.

Comment

Originally posted by NMA fanatic
          I had to leave a contract due to my gf having a bit of a breakdown at the moment,
          Many thanks.
          In other words you have been offered another contract that is better paid and closer to home.

DA in "heard that one before" mode
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
            In other words you have been offered another contract that is better paid and closer to home.

DA in "heard that one before" mode
            You cynical bar steward you.
            The poor guy is probably in love!!

Phoenix in "flowers in your hair "mode

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
              You cynical bar steward you.
              The poor guy is probably in love!!

Phoenix in "flowers in your hair "mode
              I am having my "hard" day Phoenix
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                I am having my "hard" day Phoenix
                Best get hold of Becky then....She normally has to wait till Friday for a "hard" one.
                Not sure if she mates with Agents though

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix
                  Best get hold of Becky then....She normally has to wait till Friday for a "hard" one.
                  Not sure if she mates with Agents though
                  They like a bit of rough with hair gel and buckles

Comment

Thanks all.

By the way no new contract, hence the money thing being a bigger problem than it would otherwise be.

I got an email this morning from the client saying the problem is not with them. It's the bloody agency refusing to pay up.

I have copies of signed timesheets and emails.

Now searching for a contract solicitor.

Once again thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                    X