• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hosted Dev / Test Environments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hosted Dev / Test Environments

Ok. I know for some of you this is going to be a dumb ass question but for others maybe not.

I admit I don't have experience of obtaining these services or using them.

I would like to know where I can access shared services/environments for a host of software packages. For example. Business Objects, or SAP, or SAS or SQL 2008 with associated BI solutions, or a .NET Development environment etc etc

I want these hosted and prebuilt, and I want to buy their services for a period of time, I want to be able to VPN into dedicated virtualized environments (for use as a sand pit/training etc), when I am interested.

Does anyone have any experience of any companies which offer these shared cloud type services & the types of costs for being able to learn/license these?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

I take it you've looked at the standard hosting companies and they don't do what you want?
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Amazon have set costings for hundreds of pre built instances. I think most technology stacks are there already.

I think the deal is that you just pay for the software when your instance is up, I don't know much about that being an open source type of guy.

Been using the amazon cloud for a couple of years and it is a very good quality product, but of course some people will not take them seriously as they are amazon.

Comment

Was also going to suggest Amazon, they're the recognised leaders in cloud stuff (despite being Amazon . You need to make sure your data is safe though, if you stop paying they claim to immediately delete all data when a virtual PC is culled.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Was also at a meeting last year with an IB who had used Eucalyptus to build their own cloud. Because everything was internal (test & dev servers really) it suited them fine.

I think with the scale they were doing it at it made sense. Was told told any numbers though.

Comment

Working...
          X