• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

radio scanners for air traffic control

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

radio scanners for air traffic control

We're off to an air show next weekend (Duxford) and thought it would be fun to take a radio scanner with us to listen in to air traffic control while the Spitfire pilots do their stuff etc.

After a quick google I'm none the wiser what to get so wondering if anyone can offer any recommendations. I believe I need to be listening in at round about 120-130 MHz and don't want to spend more than £50-100 or so,

PS. I it legal ?

AR108 Airband Scanner : Scanners : Maplin

The legal position is here:

Guidance on Receive-Only Radio Scanners | Ofcom

My interpretation is that aircraft transmissions are relating to Navigation, therefore come under 'general reception', and therefore it is not illegal to listen.
    Last edited by ee61re; 4 July 2010, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      We're off to an air show next weekend (Duxford) and thought it would be fun to take a radio scanner with us to listen in to air traffic control while the Spitfire pilots do their stuff etc.

After a quick google I'm none the wiser what to get so wondering if anyone can offer any recommendations. I believe I need to be listening in at round about 120-130 MHz and don't want to spend more than £50-100 or so,

PS. I it legal ?
      Make sure you get one with 8.33khz spacing. Listening to aircraft is legal.

You might not want to try that in Greece though...

Comment

Duxford tower is 122.075MHz

If they were to pursue it, I think you'd have a job persuading OFCOM or the courts that you were listening to aircraft broadcasts for the purposes of "navigation". That probably covers VORs etc.

Not that it will stop about a thousand people at Duxford listening on headphones, and OFCOM certainly won't care.

Comment

Working...
        X