• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hands up who though Cameron would cut ICTs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hands up who though Cameron would cut ICTs?

Well there is frack all chance of that. Telegraph: Cameron bets future on India's meteoric rise

It's probably going to get worse. The new mob are as bad as the last bunch with the lack of understanding of the long-term damage they are causing.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Given the state of the UK's economy and its dwindling status as an industrial power, it is clear that the UK needs India more than India needs the UK. Last week, Sir Terry Leahy, the outgoing Tesco chief executive, called on the UK to embrace globalisation and refrain from hankering for a return to "village England". He said that Cameron should accept the UK's dwindling political influence and instead ensure that the country can profit from the emergence of Asia.
    We're a bit like a small yappie dog on the world stage. It started with Thatcher and the miners. We even import our electricity and gas ffs
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

We're a bit like a small yappie dog on the world stage.
      Come to think of it, Cameron is a bit like a small yappie dog, only marginally less annoying in a different way than Brown.

Why the hell do British politicians of every stripe feel they must grovel and fawn to all and sundry, and jump at the sight of their own shadows?
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Not suggesting it works this way but in theory off-shoring could be good... if UK could utilise huge numbers of foreign developers they could work on more projects selling overseas while UK IT focuses on architects and higher-level skills than coding. As I say though, I don't see it going that way.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Not suggesting it works this way but in theory off-shoring could be good... if UK could utilise huge numbers of foreign developers they could work on more projects selling overseas while UK IT focuses on architects and higher-level skills than coding. As I say though, I don't see it going that way.
          Why do you imagine nations would stop at the 'lower end' developing rather than offer turn key solutions including architects and management?
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

This is why they need to stop ICts

Computer science graduates have even less chance than media studies grads of being in gainful employment six months after leaving college, government figures show.

Computer grads can't even get jobs offering personal services

Comment

Not only is it difficult to get that important first job, the longevity if the career is not much either as outsouring / ICT cause their damage.

There is little prospect for many of today's IT grads to earn enough to cover the expense of getting that degree. This will put off many from attempting to do a degree as the costs go up. This will also ripple back down the skills level. Motivation to achieve is being destroyed. That is why we have so many chav's ect. There are no prospects for them whatsoever, so they live a marginal life as a massive cost to the rapidly dwindling number of taxpayers.

I saw that BBC program "How to build a nuclear submarine" the other day. Throughout the program they repeat how they had to restart the apprentice schemes because there wasn't the skills to deliver the product. It was many years late / over budget) as a result. This shows how not having a domestic skills base damages the nations security.

It has also been argued that England's appalling performance in the World Cup was, in part, down to a lack of domestic talent to draw from as so many clubs have fewer, or even no, English players.

I could rant for hours on this.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
              Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                In practice off shoring doesn't work, as someone who has utilized these resources in projects, one too many times I have found out way too late how much of a mess they have made of development or testing, only to have to fix the damage and pray that I can keep the project within time and budget.

The problem is the big wigs whose idea it is to get these people on board in the first place don't get to see the cleaning up that is done in house and therefore continue think that offshoring is a great idea.

I wouldn't complain if the resources were competent, but I have yet to come across some. What is frustrating is that so many people are being made redundant because of this and experienced skill sets are being replaced with botch jobs.

It's got to the point where companies are getting several offshore resources, where one experienced person would do the job much better.
                "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

That article says nothing regarding migrant workers. The only worker they mention is the one in the picture who is in india.

It does mention that resctictions on UK companies is to be lifted. What we wanted, right?

It is mostly us selling them arms from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Why do you imagine nations would stop at the 'lower end' developing rather than offer turn key solutions including architects and management?
                    Because those things require domain knowledge and education which aren't isn't based on universities teaching programming rather than software development/engineering. Down the line, as developing companies develop, this might change, but it's not the case right now. And once they're developed, they can't charge $5/hr and become bona fide competitors rather than outsourced resources.

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    In practice off shoring doesn't work, as someone who has utilized these resources in projects, one too many times I have found out way too late how much of a mess they have made of development or testing, only to have to fix the damage and pray that I can keep the project within time and budget.
                    In practice the 2 key problems are not that "offshoring doesn't work" but:
                    1)Companies delegate too much responsibility about selecting the resources to another company, trying to treat them as black-boxes rather than interacting closely as you would a local team
                    2)The overall standard of developers is low, which makes it harder to get the good ones. Coupled with 1) that makes it very hard to get a company to give you a competent team.

If companies took it seriously it can work (I do it on a small scale) but they are still trying to dump whole projects on untested teams, who only commnicate via a offshore PM.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X