• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why on earth do agents not put salaries in job adverts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why on earth do agents not put salaries in job adverts?

It would save us all a lot of hassle if they did since the first thing that happens is that I ask them what it is anyway.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    It would save us all a lot of hassle if they did since the first thing that happens is that I ask them what it is anyway.

Cos if they did you wouldn't have to phone them up and ask.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm only interested in day rates.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

One of two main reasons:
        • Rate is Crap
        • Rate is really good but they are hoping to increase their margin

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
          One of two main reasons:
          • Rate is Crap
          • Rate is really good but they are hoping to increase their margin
          WHS

Agents are middlemen and as such rely on controlling information to derive maximum returns.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Salaries is for permies, like!

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              Salaries is for permies, like!
              Thats cos I is a permie
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Thats cos I is a permie
                <shush>

Comment

Thats cos I is a permie
                  You've got a point though. When I used to look for permie jobs I couldn't understand why the agent didn't publish the salary.

If they are commissioned as % of the placed salary, it is in their interest to keep it high.
                  Maybe they dont all work like this though

Comment

Quite a common practice in the continent (with the exception perhaps of Germany to some extent). It keeps negotiations at the lower side for the less knowledgeable party(almost in all cases the worker). I guess companies/agents in UK have realised that they currently can get away with that as the market is very slow.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X