• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flying Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying Etiquette

I have been on 2 European flights in the last month of so, under 1 1/2hrs duration each time.

On a least one journey each the passenger in front has decided to tilt their seat back crushing my legs in the process.

Now I know I cannot stop them doing this, other than giving them the knees in the back of the seat treatment, but why do they do this - why do they not have any consideration for the people behind them ?

I would never do this. So rude it makes me mad

Some time back I was reading an article about how society today is so governed by warnings and advice, that to some people unless they get a specific warning / instruction, they don't realise that they have broken some kind of societal taboo.

Because there is nothing that explicitly says not to put your chair back, many people think nothing of the inconvenience that it causes others. I would put it back on a longer flight, or if there was space without it impacting anyone else, but not on short haul or if cramped.

All you can do in this situation is repeatedly kick the back of their chair, and slam your tray table up and down.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If this behaviour is a symptom of modern society, then you should scream loudly and threaten to sue them for burns received when hot coffee spills on your lap. Or you could just ask them to reposition the seat.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        I have been on 2 European flights in the last month of so, under 1 1/2hrs duration each time.

On a least one journey each the passenger in front has decided to tilt their seat back crushing my legs in the process.

Now I know I cannot stop them doing this, other than giving them the knees in the back of the seat treatment, but why do they do this - why do they not have any consideration for the people behind them ?

I confess, i put my seat back all the time. Need to catch up on some sleep if possible. I paid for my ticket, this is a feature of the service I expect, complain to the airline not me.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why do you think deliberately kneeing someone in the back is an acceptable response to them reclining their seat?

The seats are designed to recline, with the exception of those by the overwing emergency exits, and it's hardly the person in front of you's fault if you have larger than average legs or, more likely, are a lazy slouch incapable of sitting properly in a chair.

More to the point, if you don't dare even to speak to them, how are they supposed to know it bothers you?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            All you can do in this situation is repeatedly kick the back of their chair, and slam your tray table up and down.
            If you sincerely believe that you need to log off from the internet immediately and seek professional help.

If, however, you were being sarcastic then well done, you got me.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              the passenger in front has decided to tilt their seat back crushing my legs in the process.

I completely agree, zero consideration. But these days I'm coming around to the view that being considerate is a waste of time and effort. Inconsiderates make me cross. This causes me stress. Stress is bad.

Now, no bugger else is considerate, so why bother? May as well start elbowing your way to the bar, banging into people on the dance floor and reclining your seat as far as it goes (then feigning catatonic sleep). Not to mention shoving to the front of the boarding queue while blocking families with young children and the wheelchair-bound.

Makes me wish I was French, then all this would come so much more easily

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                I confess, i put my seat back all the time. Need to catch up on some sleep if possible. I paid for my ticket, this is a feature of the service I expect, complain to the airline not me.
                WHS

I'm taller than the average height that the seats are designed for but can still get my legs in a position that allows the person in front to recline. Took about 40 hours of flying to really get the knack/flexibility.
                A good starter though is to sit in the seat properly, then tip your seat back.
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

I get 4 flights a week at the mo. The seat reclining thing is not such a big deal on modern aircraft and scheduled flights. Unless they just dive backwards when you have a glass of red in your hand.

What winds me up is what now constitutes "hand luggage". Most airlines will take it off you at the gate and you get it on the otherside so why ram the feck out of everyones laptop bag trying to jam a suitcase in the overhead locker.
                  Last edited by Pondlife; 5 July 2010, 21:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    What winds me up is what now constitutes "hand luggage". Most airlines will can take it off you at the gate and you get it on the otherside so why ram the feck out of everyones laptop bag trying to jam a suitcase in the overhead locker.
                    Cause they're too important to wait 10 minutes at the other side.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X