• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm going to succum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to succum

And enter the mobile internet age. Just via wifi though to save on exorbitant mobile phone tariffs. Being without internet on the move is like being in the stone age these days, so I think I'll get an ipod touch today. Is the best deal to be had at the Apple Store, or PC World? I'll also get a charger (I've heard third party versions of these are better than the Apple one) and a screen protector.
    Last edited by TimberWolf; 6 July 2010, 13:33.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    And enter the mobile internet age. Just via wifi though to save on exorbitant mobile phone tariffs. Being without internet on the move is like being in the stone age these days, so I think I'll get an ipod touch today. Is the best deal to be had at the Apple Store, or PC World? I'll also get a charger (I've heard third party versions of these are better than the Apple one) and a screen protector.
    Yay have fun!
    Pogle posting from her iPod touch
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Apple control their pricing like a south american dictator controls a country. You wont find any price variation beteen stores. I've not had any problems with the Apple charger since I've had mine ( over 2 years ) so a thrid party one if probably a waste of money. It's not so much a charger as an adaptor so you can plug the USB lead into the mains. Nothing much to go wrong with it.

The phones are all available sim free now so you can drop in whatever payg sim you want to keep the costs down. 3 were doing unlimited data for 90 days with a £10 top up. The phone is more expensive but saves you carting two devices around and you get 3G internet as well.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

PAYG Mobile Wi-Fi deal summary

Might be worth looking at.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Apple control their pricing like a south american dictator controls a country. You wont find any price variation beteen stores.
          WHS. Which means you ought to buy from an outlet which is convenient for you and/or provides better service / has more switched on staff.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            PAYG Mobile Wi-Fi deal summary

Might be worth looking at.
            That looks like a promising option for further down the line. No phone capability, but on the other hand (I guess) it would provide a WIFI connection for e.g. a laptop, for a few hours.

Comment

What exorbitant tariffs?
              Since going getting the internet on my phone I've paid exactly £0.00 extra
              With O2 you also get access to the cloud wifi network (apparently, I've not actually used it)

Even a PAYG mobile phone tarrif will give you free mobile internet

I also pay an extra £15 per month to Three for a 3G dongle, Using it quite heavily at the moment but not getting anywhere near the limit
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                What exorbitant tariffs?
                Since going getting the internet on my phone I've paid exactly £0.00 extra
                With O2 you also get access to the cloud wifi network (apparently, I've not actually used it)

Even a PAYG mobile phone tarrif will give you free mobile internet

I also pay an extra £15 per month to Three for a 3G dongle, Using it quite heavily at the moment but not getting anywhere near the limit
                I only have a PAYG mobile phone that I hardly use. But the tariff on that is proper PAYG - no top-ups needed monthly, just pay as you go. So I would have to get a proper rip-off mobile phone tariff organised and they worry me whenever I look at them. Plus of course the iPhone is much more expensive than the (8Gb) iPod touch that I intend to buy. Well into serious money territory. I don't want to spend a fortune and be locked into paying another fortune every month on tariffs. Although £180/year isn't a huge amount, if that really is all you pay.

Comment

I only have a PAYG mobile phone that I hardly use. But the tariff on that is proper PAYG - no top-ups needed monthly, just pay as you go. So I would have to get a proper rip-off mobile phone tariff organised and they worry me whenever I look at them. Plus of course the iPhone is much more expensive than the (8Gb) iPod touch that I intend to buy. Well into serious money territory. I don't want to spend a fortune and be locked into paying another fortune every month on tariffs. Although £180/year isn't a huge amount, if that really is all you pay.
                  You might need to change your PAYG provider... a top up should give you 3 months of internet
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Best deal on at the moment, I believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X