• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life Coaching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life Coaching

Hi crew, long time lurker here finally taking the plunge as I desperately need some advice.

The fact of the matter is that I am fed up with IT - I've spent the last couple of years having 3 months here 3 months there and taking more steps back than I have forwards. Work has been incredibly dull and boring too which just saps motivation even further. Don't get me wrong, I used to enjoy software development but over the past couple of years I feel like a hamster in its wheel.

So, I've been thinking about doing something else. I'm in my mid 40s so it's too late to have a proper career change per se but I would love to run a business doing something that I enjoy; something involving food & drink or property renovation. Problem is, I'm an awful dreamer & I have these pipe dreams and they never become reality. I could put a big plan together tomorrow for the next few years but at the back of my mind I know that after a few months it'd fizzle out & I'd be back in the same old rut again. The problem is all mine, I know - I'm quite disorganised, have a poor attention span and am easily distracted from the job in hand.

So my question is, ahve any of you on here used a life coach or something of that nature? I'm not talking a shrink here (though some may say that would be more appropriate!) but somebody who could give me advice and support in getting my life turned around. I've looked on the web and TBH some of it smacks of trendy American psycho quackery - the sort of thing that I normally run a mile from. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Set up a standing order for £500 quid a month to my account and PM your mobile number. I'll give you some coaching.

You'll need dedication, motivation and must do exactly as I say, without hesitation or prevarication.

The first lesson is free.

"FFS, sort yourself out you bedwetter!"

Comment

Look - they'll charge you a fortune to give you a kick up the arse. We'll do it for free

Edit: Ok,Ok serious mode.
      You've identified some of the problems you have so get 'em fixed. Read a book on time management (or get some pointers off t'internet). Set goals and get used to sticking to them. If you get easily distracted then you are probably not breaking the goal down into small enough (i.e. acheivable) chunks.
      Swat up on some new technologies so you can get more interesting contracts.
      Last edited by Zippy; 6 July 2010, 11:57. Reason: Getting serious for a change
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Well, how about recommendations for any books that help you to micromanage your life. That's what succesful people do isn't it? They micro manage their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Look - they'll charge you a fortune to give you a kick up the arse. We'll do it for free
          Hey you! Stop muscling in on my new gig!

Do something useful, check out his fridge!

These manic depressives usually have a decent stash of alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
            Problem is, I'm an awful dreamer & I have these pipe dreams and they never become reality. I could put a big plan together tomorrow for the next few years but at the back of my mind I know that after a few months it'd fizzle out & I'd be back in the same old rut again. The problem is all mine, I know - I'm quite disorganised, have a poor attention span and am easily distracted from the job in hand.
            Doesn't that describe 99% of the population?
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Just post on here for a while. We'll toughen you up!!

If you crack though and take lots of people out in a rampage, just remember Spod pushed your buttons first!
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                It might do but how many of them spill their guts on a public forum?

Oh, wait a minute...

Oi SuitYou01, is this guy one of your mates?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  So, I've been thinking about doing something else. I'm in my mid 40s so it's too late to have a proper career change per se but I would love to run a business doing something that I enjoy; something involving food & drink or property renovation. Problem is, I'm an awful dreamer & I have these pipe dreams and they never become reality. I could put a big plan together tomorrow for the next few years but at the back of my mind I know that after a few months it'd fizzle out & I'd be back in the same old rut again. The problem is all mine, I know - I'm quite disorganised, have a poor attention span and am easily distracted from the job in hand.
                  what's the plan?

I once visited a shop in Buenos Aires selling wine, sausages and art. Basically, the owner was an art dealer who'd lost his business in the 2000 currency crash, took over his Dad's meat shop and filled it with art. His tactic was to offer people a slice of spicy sausage or ham, then give them a glass of wine to go with it. After a few glasses, he'd point to the wall and say 'do like the painting? It's for sale'. Sells one painting a week on average and he's laughing.

By the way, I've no idea how this little story is relevant, but it might inspire you.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Some say that I'm a dreamer.
                    But I'm not the only one!
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X