PDA

View Full Version : 'elf and safety innit

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 10:31
BBC News - Call to ban rugby scrums in schools (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/scotland/10501327.stm)

Bloody bedwetters.

moorfield
7th July 2010, 10:33
BBC News - Call to ban rugby scrums in schools (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/scotland/10501327.stm)

Bloody bedwetters.

Nah. Real bedwetters need tarmac paths (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1292502/Next-theyll-want-lift-Everest-Mountaineers-fury-tarmac-path-Snowdon.html) built up mountains for them.

cailin maith
7th July 2010, 10:41

Bloody bedwetters.

Oh please, what a pile of shite... English rugby is in a bad enough state as it is without the grass roots not being able to play the game properly...

While they are at it, they should ban hockey sticks from hockey - how much damage can a hockey stick cause? Oh and water from swimming pools, what if the little mites drown... and concrete from running tracks.. they might scrape a knee or twist an ankle... FFS - this kind of stuff really gets on my nerves.

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 10:44
Oh please, what a pile of shite... English rugby is in a bad enough state as it is without the grass roots not being able to play the game properly...

While they are at it, they should ban hockey sticks from hockey - how much damage can a hockey stick cause? Oh and water from swimming pools, what if the little mites drown... and concrete from running tracks.. they might scrape a knee or twist an ankle... FFS - this kind of stuff really gets on my nerves.

A child at our local athletics club was recently taken to hospital by his mother having suffered a 'periorbital hematoma' i.e. a black eye.

Guess what sport he was doing?

(I nearly pissed myself laughing when I found out)

SupremeSpod
7th July 2010, 10:45

Bloody bedwetters.

Really?

Imo it's a lack of proper coaching that is causing some serious injuries in school Rugby. Improve the coaching. Also, it could be argued that some of the younger players won't have developed sufficiently to handle the strains.

What does the rest of the forum think?

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 10:47
Really?

Imo it's a lack of proper coaching that is causing some serious injuries in school Rugby. Improve the coaching. Also, it could be argued that some of the younger players won't have developed sufficiently to handle the strains.

What does the rest of the forum think?Banning scrums would make the situation worse as young players enter adult rugby without the skills or strength to cope with a scrum. Give it a few years and there'd be a spate of spinal injuries in adult rugby.

cailin maith
7th July 2010, 10:48
Really?

What does the rest of the forum think?

That's why they have touch and mini rugby.

Banning scrums and tackles is bonkers.

SupremeSpod
7th July 2010, 10:50
Banning scrums would make the situation worse as young players enter adult rugby without the skills or strength to cope with a scrum. Give it a few years and there'd be a spate of spinal injuries in adult rugby.

Yep, I agree. However I also think that coaching needs to be improved if scrums are not to be banned.

FiveTimes
7th July 2010, 10:51
That's why they have touch and mini rugby.

Banning scrums and tackles is bonkers.

But this "should" improve ball handling and running techniques ?

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 10:52

I am quite capable of handling my balls without the instruction of a health and safety officer, thank you.

cailin maith
7th July 2010, 10:53

Mini and touch rugby aims to have these techniques reasonably well mastered before full on scrums come into the mix.

My tuppenceworth is that the kids don't play it enough at primary level and then when they get to secondary are lobbed into a world where they haven't had a chance to master the basics.

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 10:55

Anyway, it's a report for the Scottish government. Somehow I don't see English public school tories letting something like this through the London parliament.

SupremeSpod
Mini and touch rugby aims to have these techniques reasonably well mastered before full on scrums come into the mix.

My tuppenceworth is that the kids don't play it enough at primary level and then when they get to secondary are lobbed into a world where they haven't had a chance to master the basics.

More kids want to play football. Unfortunately.

minestrone
Someone at my school broke his neck in a scrum.

cailin maith
7th July 2010, 10:57
Anyway, it's a report for the Scottish government. Somehow I don't see English public school tories letting something like this through the London parliament.

Thank God for that...

SupremeSpod
7th July 2010, 10:57

It happens. This debate has been had before, the conclusion then was to improve coaching, not to ban scrums in school rugby.

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 10:58

Yep, it happens occasionally. Often, as SupremeSpod says, it's down to poor coaching. Sometimes it's due to poor refereeing. But if you don't develop the strength to scrummage at an early age then it will be extremely dangerous as an adult.

MarillionFan
7th July 2010, 10:58

Someone at my client broke his neck by a scrum master.

FiveTimes
7th July 2010, 10:59

Same could be said about junior football. They play 7 a-side and when they get to ~ 10 yr old they get thrown into playing on a big pitch.

We played rughby league at school and there was full on tackling from the age of 8+

MarillionFan
7th July 2010, 10:59
It happens. This debate has been had before, the conclusion then was to improve coaching, not to ban scrums in school rugby.

and to make sure your not playing rugby with a 6'2'' 11 Year old :eyes

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 11:01
and to make sure your not playing rugby with a 6'2'' 11 Year old :eyesThere is perhaps a case for grouping kids into sizes/weights instead of purely agegroups for learning the game. I think they do tha in NZ these days.

cailin maith
7th July 2010, 11:03
There is perhaps a case for grouping kids into sizes/weights instead of purely agegroups for learning the game. I think they do tha in NZ these days.

Totally agree... our local club (in Ireland) used to mix & match but unfortunatly for competitions and leagues it went off age group.

FiveTimes
7th July 2010, 11:03
There is perhaps a case for grouping kids into sizes/weights instead of purely agegroups for learning the game. I think they do tha in NZ these days.

group kids on ability, not size/weight. That way they are always playing with the best

minestrone
7th July 2010, 11:04
He walked again, he just had to wear this device on his neck that sent electric pulses into his spine every second which made him look like he had a bad tick.

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 11:06
group kids on ability, not size/weight. That way they are always playing with the best
Oh no, don't group by ability; that way the crap ones stay crap and the talented ones get no competition. Ability for rugby develops at different ages; some kids appear useless at age 10, then grow a few inches and become good forwards.

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 11:08
Totally agree... our local club (in Ireland) used to mix & match but unfortunatly for competitions and leagues it went off age group.

anyway CM, have you guessed how the athletics kid got his black eye?

FiveTimes
7th July 2010, 11:08
Oh no, don't group by ability; that way the crap ones stay crap and the talented ones get no competition. Ability for rugby develops at different ages; some kids appear useless at age 10, then grow a few inches and become good forwards.

The crap ones will become better, then move up and see if they can cut it at a higher level. The talented ones have to work harder to maintain there place. If not then they moved down a level.

SupremeSpod
7th July 2010, 11:09

By laughing at the rugby team?

cailin maith
7th July 2010, 11:10

Feck - I forgot about the question :rollin:

Go on, tell me...

cailin maith
7th July 2010, 11:10

:laugh

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 11:11
No. Pole vault.

I wasn't there to see it, but I can think of only one way to get a black eye in the pole vault. Kid needs some serious neurological attention if you ask me.

cailin maith
7th July 2010, 11:11
No. Pole vault.

I wasn't there to see it, but I can think of only one way to get a black eye in the pole vault. Kid needs some serious neurological attention if you ask me.

:rollin: The poor sod... bet it hurt!

Spacecadet
7th July 2010, 11:17
When I went to school we probably did twice as much rugby as football.
Only time anyone ended up getting injured enough to warrant calling an ambulance was when playing football.

OwlHoot
7th July 2010, 11:22

Bloody bedwetters.

Can't see Cameron and his chums agreeing to that - It would mean also banning the Eton wall game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_wall_game) :eyes

moorfield
7th July 2010, 11:30
Eton wall game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_wall_game) :eyes

Hilarious - that reads like something out of Private Eye.

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 11:31
Can't see Cameron and his chums agreeing to that - It would mean also banning the Eton wall game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eton_wall_game) :eyes

Good game, good game, didn't he do well?

Troll
7th July 2010, 11:50
Oh please, what a pile of shite... English rugby is in a bad enough state as it is

It was the bed wetting, namby pamby soft-as-shite Scots what said this, not the stout hearted, solid oak English types :p

A mixed bag of results recently but not as bad as it could have been - England may be on the way up but we'll have to wait for the autumn to see if the trend has been set

Tours
Tree View
Wednesday, 23 June 2010
New Zealand Maori 35 - 28 ENGLAND
Saturday, 19 June 2010
AUSTRALIA 20 - 21 ENGLAND
Tuesday, 15 June 2010
Australian Barbarians 9 - 15 ENGLAND
Saturday, 12 June 2010
AUSTRALIA 27 - 17 ENGLAND
Tuesday, 08 June 2010
Australian Barbarians 28 - 28 ENGLAND

FYI we had one serious injury during my time at school - a broken neck from a collapsed scrum that left the 15 year old in a wheelchair - he eventually topped himself aged 20 by pushing his wheelchair into a garden pond and drowning... heartbreaking but an isolated incident

While they are at it, they should ban hockey sticks from hockey - how much damage can a hockey stick cause? .
Fom personal experience 4 stitches to a open wound around the eyebrow - but no reason to ban hockey either

HTH

shaunbhoy
7th July 2010, 11:59
It was the bed wetting, namby pamby soft-as-shite Scots what said this

Your paranoia has reached epidemic proportions now. Which is good. For it injects a humour into your posts that is otherwise distinctly lacking.

FYI, the only "solid oak" thing about you is your head.

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

suityou01
7th July 2010, 12:32

Bloody bedwetters.

I can see this actually. Ban rugby, increase the number of football academies. After all, footy is called "the beautiful game". Rugby is just dull. :tongue

Mich the Tester
7th July 2010, 12:51
I can see this actually. Ban rugby, increase the number of football academies. After all, footy is called "the beautiful game". Rugby is just dull. :tongueI can't see anyone biting.

Must do better.

MarillionFan
7th July 2010, 12:52
Only time anyone ended up getting injured enough to warrant calling an ambulance was when playing football.

Rugby my ass SC.

I'd heard a rumour that you got injured during Chess Club when you got carried away with a castling move on the Queens side. :eyes

Spacecadet
7th July 2010, 13:05
Rugby my ass SC.

I'd heard a rumour that you got injured during Chess Club when you got carried away with a castling move on the Queens side. :eyes

Put my back out innit

http://www.chess-uk.com/Application/images/garden-games/giant-chess-1md.jpg

Troll
7th July 2010, 14:34
Your paranoia has reached epidemic proportions now. Nope - I've re-checked the article and it deffo says scots

HTH

Drewster
7th July 2010, 15:27

I played Rugby for many years.... Few black eyes, bruises, nose bleeds and twisted/sprained ankles etc...

I play Badminton now.... Various twisted/sprained ankles, Broken ankle, broken finger and one incident involving 7 stitches in a gaping wound!! Bloody dangerous it is!!!!

minestrone
7th July 2010, 15:35
7 stitches in a gaping wound!! Bloody dangerous it is!!!!

I bet you don't go into the showers when the Sisters are around anymore.

MarillionFan
7th July 2010, 16:54
I bet you don't go into the showers when the Sisters are around anymore.

Oh! I bet he does!:eek:

lightng
7th July 2010, 18:23
This really gets my goat. Why not ban all sports and let kids die of obesity instead. Tiddlywinks - bits of plastic flying round, could take someone's eye out. Why not ban that too? At university, the student union managed to ban amateur boxing - cos it was dangerous - sod everyone who actually wanted to do it.

This cotton wool mentality doesn't just stop at sport. We don't want children to fail so we make exams easier. Now everyone can go to succeed but no-one ever does because there is no risk of failure.

Competing in whatever field, taking risks, winning some, losing some, finding out what your good at, finding out what your bad at, its all part of growing up and finding out who you are. It is sad that we are becoming a nation of unhealthy, less disciplined, less educated, less confident people who can't compete with the rest of the world.

On the subject of school rugby, a few months ago I attended a rugby match with my mate to watch his son who was playing in the under 12s. His son got caught and a small gash appeared above his eye. From the side he shouted "Don't worry son, it'll heal and chicks dig scars!". Cool fatherly advice, I thought.

Anyway, that's the end of my Daily Mail rant. I feel better now.

Spacecadet
7th July 2010, 18:25
Anyway, that's the end of my Daily Mail rant. I feel better now.

Surely the Daily Mail line would be:
Rugby causes cancer

lightng
7th July 2010, 18:28
Surely the Daily Mail line would be:
Rugby causes cancer

No, that's football.