• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I see why Bob is taking the jobs. Dev work is eazy....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see why Bob is taking the jobs. Dev work is eazy....

I'm not a proper developer these days, but I can do this lark.

In little over a week I have developed a system to run the market data capture of my business.

That ...

Has a job running daily under Quartz.Net that sends a request via NServiceBus to a NT Service that grabs files from data vendors using FTP and dumps them into a incoming directory.

Then there is another service that uses a file watcher on that directory to pick up those files once they have been completely written and moves them to another directory depending on their context (i.e. the exchange it was for) possibly changing the file name. It then sends a NServiceBus message to another service to process the file.

That service uses FileHelpers & Rhino ETL to extract the prices. It augments each price with a code of the instrument in my database found in a cache using the facilities supplied by MS EntLib. It send the price to an updater service (if it could not find the code it send a different message). Also a message is sent back to the watch service to trigger a renaming of the file to a 'done' directory.

The updater service uses LINQ2SQL to update my database using stored procedures.

All of this was written in C# (VS 2008) complete with unit testing using NUnit/MOQ.

Almost all of the code was nicked from examples off the net.

At the same time I can watch Bloomberg and surf for p0rn.

Developers, you are all over-rated. If I can knock this stuff up, and I'm a fick 51yo, then any spotty Indian grad could do it for a plate of curried veg and a chapati, maybe two.

I should apply for them £650 pd jobs that Joey/Chloe goes on about. I'll need banking experience though.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Sorting out someone elses pile o tulipe is why we get paid. Always has been, always will be.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Devs are thick...

Maybe you have a point but look at the range of tools you used to get your job done. Compare that to some business / management types us developers have all worked with in the past. So keen to throw us yet another spreadsheet because when when all you have is a hammer, every f***ing problem is a nail. Now thats eazy!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        I'm not a proper developer these days
        That's why it took you a week.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Pleaz mail me the codes

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
            Pleaz mail me the codes
            Need HABs Oracle tips?? Click her ... nah don't
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I can do eazy codings. Much cheapness, plenty goodness.

Bob Shawadiwadi
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've forgotten more than I know. For the stuff I can't remember or don't know I ask my special friend Mr Google.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Look! A dove has appeared from thin air!!!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  I should apply for them £650 pd jobs that Joey/Chloe goes on about. I'll need banking experience though.
                  You'd need to officially be in this country too

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                    You'd need to officially be in this country too

There are several other reasons too.
                    (No, I've not done any time and I'm not a bankrupt.)
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X