• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The "No tulip Sherlock" news item of the day....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "No tulip Sherlock" news item of the day....

BBC News - Link between inactivity and obesity queried

Hang on - Aren't they _querying_ the notion that lack of exercise causes obesity?

So it's not so much a "no tulip Sherlock" article but more of a "Good grief, Holmes, you amaze me" one
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The paper says there is no disputing the association between physical activity and body fat.
      In other words fat people are lazy. The question is, does indolence make you fat or does fatness make you indolent? The paper suggests the latter. I hope this research was carried out by thin people who went the extra mile.

We also need to know which way around it works for body aroma. Does being smelly make you fat?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        The question is, does indolence make you fat or does fatness make you indolent?
        I suspect it works both ways to create a positive feedback loop.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I suspect it works both ways to create a positive feedback loop.
          If so, fat retarding forces must also exist. Otherwise fat people would just keep getting fatter, smellier and lazier.

Comment

If so, fat retarding forces must also exist. Otherwise fat people would just keep getting fatter, smellier and lazier.
            Have you any evidence that they dont?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well, I haven't yet seen fat people the size of the visible universe. Do you think this could be because of what they can physically stuff into their mouths? Oops, I accidentally mentioned food - which as every fat person knows bears no relationship with obesity.

Comment

They appear to be self limiting in the same way that the size of insects is limited to a certain level by the nature of their anatomy. You keep getting fatter until you reach a certain point, at which point you drop (ok, maybe not drop, slump? ) dead.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Well, I haven't yet seen fat people the size of the visible universe. Do you think this could be because of what they can physically stuff into their mouths? Oops, I accidentally mentioned food - which as every fat person knows bears no relationship with obesity.
                  Well, at a first pass, I expect they would start to run out of food once they had eaten everything on the planet so they are unlikely to get much larger than a small space rock like, say, the moon.

We can refine this upper bound by taking into account that there is only about 70 years or so for them to cram their chubby cheeks full of lard, which obviously limits the total amount of flubber they can amass, and there is a further self limiting mechanism as once they reach a radius comparable with the length of their arms they are unable to get close enough to the fridge to access it.

Comment

Well, at a first pass, I expect they would start to run out of food once they had eaten everything on the planet so they are unlikely to get much larger than a small space rock like, say, the moon.

We can refine this upper bound by taking into account that there is only about 70 years or so for them to cram their chubby cheeks full of lard, which obviously limits the total amount of flubber they can amass, and there is a further self limiting mechanism as once they reach a radius comparable with the length of their arms they are unable to get close enough to the fridge to access it.
                    They would probably overheat at some point too, because their surface areas (and ability to dissipate heat) goes with girth squared, whereas mass goes with girth cubed. Though that does assume fat produces heat, whcih it probably doesn't if it isn't being burnt, which it won't be. Burning that fat (e.g. by exercising) might be deadly though.

Comment

Working...
                    X