• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swindon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swindon

Oh Lordy, I've managed to avoid it up to now but it looks like I'll be starting a 3 month role there on Monday.

Can anyone recommend any decent pub accomodation within a 5 mile radius of Stratton?

What jabs should I have?

TIA

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    What jabs should I have?

TIA

Anti-chav 1,2 and 3.
    Rabies shot (in case you meet churchy) 1 and 2
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I would get a top up on hepitiatus, yellow fever and of course malaria.

Do NOT drink the water. Don't even use it to brush your teeth. You'll find that most of the local 24hr market stalls will sell you something called "Hofmeister" or "SKOL" which you can use. Haggling is expected.

I'd also recommend you set yourself up with a "fixer" before you arrive. Get them to meet you at the nearest M4 services and take you in from there.

We use a cheeky little chap called dimprawn. He always tries to weasle an extra quid a day out of you but he's harmless enough. He knows his way around the seedier side of the city for sure. He was always reluctant to tell us his history but he used to dance on tables for tourists.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

I'd also recommend you set yourself up with a "fixer" before you arrive. Get them to meet you at the nearest M4 services and take you in from there.

We use a cheeky little chap called dimprawn. He always tries to weasle an extra quid a day out of you but he's harmless enough. He knows his way around the seedier side of the city for sure. He was always reluctant to tell us his history but he used to dance on tables for tourists.

HTH
        If you're using Dim Prawn as your fixer you'll need some extra shots:

Anti Walter-mitty (its a series of 3 painful injections I'm afraid).
        The anti-chav shots mentioned above should protect you against the urge to wear a gold chain and rado watch.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

True. dimprawn normally picks us up in a 1970s BMW. The air con consists of a box of tissues on the dashboard.

For the Op. Locals get most of their food and cooking fuel from something called a BPConnect. You'll often find one of the village elders here sat in peaceful meditation with a can of "specialbrew", a local tonic they drink to ward off evil spirits.

These BPConnects were set up by the oil companies to provide support for the local communities and relieve our western guilt after the place was left to ruin post colonialisation.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
            Oh Lordy, I've managed to avoid it up to now but it looks like I'll be starting a 3 month role there on Monday.

Can anyone recommend any decent pub accomodation within a 5 mile radius of Stratton?

What jabs should I have?

TIA
            Got to the Arkells web site and look at their pubs with accommodation. Should be plenty within 5 miles of Stratton. Got a gig washing cars at Honda?

Comment

Originally posted by Normie View Post
              Got to the Arkells web site and look at their pubs with accommodation. Should be plenty within 5 miles of Stratton.
              Cheers

Got a gig washing cars at Honda?
              Well, they've just asked for my measurements so they can fit me up with a boiler suit.

Comment

Got to the Arkells web site and look at their pubs with accommodation.
                Be aware that the pubs in the section headed "Contractors" are aimed more at shopfitters sleeping four to a room, at least judging by the St James in Cheltenham where I spent a number of months some years ago. Cheap though

Comment

What is it with Swindon at the moment that is making it a Mecca for contractors. You, Pogle, Spod, Churchill, Wilmslow, AtW & others.

Is it that no-one wants to work there????
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Swindon's a brilliant place for contractors.

Chock full of £500 a day contracts and house prices cheaper than the grimest parts of northern england.

Fill yer boots and retire a millionaire at 30!

Comment

Working...
                    X