• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clients named in CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clients named in CV

A no-no or okay? I understand that agents can use this information for their own ends but shirley it looks better to mention Lloyds/HBOS/RBS etc on your cv if you are going for a banking job rather than high street retail bank etc (from an impact angle)

None of my clients have ever said "you can't say you worked here" so I've always put the client name down.

It's only if I'd been forced to sign an NDA that says "you can't say you worked here" would I put "Major UK bank Treasury operation" or something similar.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If you are working for e.g. accenture, but tied to a specific project for say BP or the NHS, what do you put?
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        If you are working for e.g. accenture, but tied to a specific project for say BP or the NHS, what do you put?
        You have the excellent opportunity to put both or either IMO.

You have worked in BP and NHS so are aware of their systems, culture etc but you have also worked delivering Accenture methodolgy using their process to deliver so are aware of the culture and process of an outsourcing company.

Look at the job coming and see which is most suitable IMO. I don't see anything wrong or dishonest with this approach.

To the OP. Is this a serious question? I remember being told how to write a CV at 16 years old and being told to put who I worked for etc... You see on TV talking about the top execs and they list who they worked for before etc. Bit of common required.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That would depend on your personal view of the kudos each would give you:
          a) Consultant for Big Consultancy at big Oil Co/Large Gov Ministry on Big Project
          b) Consultant for Big Consultancy at BP/NHS on Big Project
          c) Consultant for Big Consultancy at BP/NHS on XYZ Project
          d) etc etc

Personally I tend to use Client Names (when not in NDA) & Consultancy names (when they are "worth it" - I wouldn't mention Small Consultants Ltd but might mention Androids)

Its one of those YMMV questions really.... I know if I got a cv that was full of "Anon Client" I'd bin it....

Comment

It's never occurred to me not to use a client name on my CV (unless I was specifically instructed not to, which I never have been).

In fact, I usually give priority to clients with names which people are likely to have heard of. Otherwise you spend half the job interview trying to explain who "Enterprise plc" are, for example (huge infrastructure support company in the UK, with big local government and services contracts... most people assume you mean the car hire place). I've seen CVs where I've never heard of any of the clients that the person has worked with for the last 20 years.

Comment

State which combination depending on the job you are applying for

BP via Accenture - Implies that you worked with BP staff and someone at Accenture simply had to sign your timesheet. No one at Accenture will remember you in 2 years time.

Accenture - Client BP Implies that you worked with Accenture staff No one at BP will remember you in 2 years time.

Comment

If you dont put the clients names on your cv, its pretty meaningless. Agents wont give your cv the time of day if they cant see who you've worked for. (No doubt someone will be along and say they dont put the client's names on and it hasnt stopped them!)

I always put client names and location on my cv but never their address. I dont send my cv out unless Im looking for a new role either.
                I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I do put the client's name - I was just looking for confirmation. The question was prompted after reading an old thread which included a reply to a newbie that you NEVER state client name in CV. This seemed to go unchallenged so I thought I should check what others do.

Thanks for the responses

Comment

Mostly I put the client name. If it's a security cleared project that is hush-hush then obviously it's a no-brainer not to mention it.

If the consultancy are well enough known, then I'd put the consultancy on there. If the client is more impressive on their own, then just put that.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X