• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proud to be British - Finally !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud to be British - Finally !

Watched a documentary about Rolls Royce making jet engines last night, it was bloody brilliant. The level of engineering design and execution was staggering, attention to detail, pride and absolute excellence of staff was amazing. They set out to make the best engines on the planet and do so, I was nearly on my feet saluting by the end.
    THIS is the level which we need to be competing at and satellite design and build is comparable, forget trying to mass produce stuff as cheaply as Bob, you have no chance. The order book stands at 40 billion currently. One place was growing a single component from an individual metal crystal (it’s the only way to make sure it can take the likely stress) – What happens if they fail testing and are returned ? I don’t know says the chap, it has NEVER happened.

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Watched a documentary about Rolls Royce making jet engines last night, it was bloody brilliant. The level of engineering design and execution was staggering, attention to detail, pride and absolute excellence of staff was amazing. They set out to make the best engines on the planet and do so, I was nearly on my feet saluting by the end.
    THIS is the level which we need to be competing at and satellite design and build is comparable, forget trying to mass produce stuff as cheaply as Bob, you have no chance. The order book stands at 40 billion currently. One place was growing a single component from an individual metal crystal (it’s the only way to make sure it can take the likely stress) – What happens if they fail testing and are returned ? I don’t know says the chap, it has NEVER happened.

Please feel free to salute
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

UK companies also operate at this level in the world of audio & video and there used to be some active in telecommunications.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        ... and thanks to Ted Heath!
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I've worked at Rolls Royce, BAE, Airbus and Westland helicopters on both engineering and IT projects, they have always been the best gigs and the ones I strive to get as I love working in those high tech environments.

Loads of Bobs at Rolls Royce Filton mind so not quite as easy as it was, not sure how they're doing it though as SC is mandatory on site?
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Same series looked at buildng nuclear submarines in Barrow-on-Furness last week. Very much in the same vein.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Same series looked at buildng nuclear submarines in Barrow-on-Furness last week. Very much in the same vein.
              That one was brilliant, I really enjoyed it.

Only saw a bit of the Rolls Royce one this week though... pretty sure it's on iPlayer.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                I've worked at Rolls Royce, BAE, Airbus and Westland helicopters on both engineering and IT projects, they have always been the best gigs and the ones I strive to get as I love working in those high tech environments.

Loads of Bobs at Rolls Royce Filton mind so not quite as easy as it was, not sure how they're doing it though as SC is mandatory on site?
                Possibly in the same way we do here, the last cleared person to leave kicks the Bobs and other uncleared people out.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  That one was brilliant, I really enjoyed it.

Only saw a bit of the Rolls Royce one this week though... pretty sure it's on iPlayer.
                  Should be on iPlayer for a week or so after broadcast.

The bit that impressed me with the RR one was the way they created honeycomb interiors in the fan blades. Stick three layers of titanium alloy together with secret sauce, heat it to god knows how hot for a week in a furnace and the middle layer expands like corrugated cardboard. Very, very clever!
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Agreed, but there was a large element of keeping the skills alive and building the subs for us (although I know we export huge quantities of other defence tech), this is a Brit company competing across the world and doing extremely well.
                    Yes, Ted Heath did have to bail them out, they bet the farm on building the next generation of engines and nearly went under because of the problems that had to be overcome, good luck to anyone trying to do this from a standing start, even with back-engineering.
                    Unlike millions poured into failing industries like cars for political reasons, this was to get over a short term issue and was a brilliant investment.

Comment

Working...
                    X