• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freaking news

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freaking news

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...RITAIN-GDP.xml

Economy grows faster than expected
    Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:34 AM GMT

Related Articles
    Chinese economy leaps French, eyes British

By Fiona Shaikh and Ross Finley
    LONDON (Reuters) - The economy grew at its fastest quarterly pace in a year in the last three months of 2005, helped by a pick-up in services and reinforcing expectations interest rates will stay on hold for now.

The Office for National Statistics said on Wednesday that gross domestic product increased by 0.6 percent in the fourth quarter, outstripping analysts' forecasts for a 0.5 percent rise and better than 0.4 percent growth posted in Q3.

That left the annual rate of growth unchanged at 1.7 percent, better than the 1.6 percent rate expected.

The pound rose to a four-month high against the dollar and strengthened against the euro, while interest rate futures fell as markets bet the Bank of England is not about to trim borrowing costs from their current 4.5 percent.

The figures coincided with minutes from the Bank's January meeting, which showed that eight members of the Monetary Policy Committee voted to keep rates on hold, with only one, Stephen Nickell, repeating his December call for a cut.

"The rise from sub-trend quarters stems from a very robust performance across all private sector services, which offset falling industrial production and more modest growth in government services," said Geoffrey Dicks, economist at RBS Financial Markets.

"The MPC did not know these data but still saw growth continuing broadly in line with the historic average. While it does so rates are on hold."

For the full year 2005, GDP grew by 1.8 percent, the weakest since 1992 but slightly above Chancellor Gordon Brown's 1.75 percent estimate which he revised down in December's pre-budget report.

SERVICES SURGE

The ONS said Q4 growth was lifted by the services sector, which put in its best performance in 1-1/2 years, expanding by 0.9 percent.

Within that, hotels, distribution and catering rebounded in Q4 by 1.2 percent on the quarter and 1.4 percent year-on-year -- further evidence that consumer spending is recovering from weakness seen through most of 2005. Continued ...
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

And now the News from Pruffock InfoServices (c)

Economic growth in the UK last year slumped to its lowest rate since 1992, official figures showed today.

Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was just 1.8 per cent higher in 2005 than the previous year, according to preliminary figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The growth rate was marginally better than the 1.7 per cent forecast by many City economists but well below the 3 per cent to 3.5 per cent Chancellor Gordon Brown predicted in his budget early last year.

The Chancellor was forced to scale back his forecast to 1.75 per cent in the pre-budget report to Parliament in December.

The 1.8 per cent rate of annual growth came after a hike of 0.6 per cent in the last three months of 2005, up from 0.4 per cent in the third quarter.

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...icle340903.ece

Comment

I noticed something else over Christmas - Mysteriously, my credit card and debit card seemed to go on working when I was three or four hundred pounds over my limit, whereas normally they only allow a few pounds over.

Doubtless the banks, possibly prompted by GB, temporarily opened the credit gates a tad to let the chav sheep (including myself) wander a bit further into debt and thus avoid Christmas sales being a washout. Glad to say I'm moreorless back on the straight and narrow now.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot
        I noticed something else over Christmas - Mysteriously, my credit card and debit card seemed to go on working when I was three or four hundred pounds over my limit, whereas normally they only allow a few pounds over.

Doubtless the banks, possibly prompted by GB, temporarily opened the credit gates a tad to let the chav sheep (including myself) wander a bit further into debt and thus avoid Christmas sales being a washout. Glad to say I'm moreorless back on the straight and narrow now.
        Funny that, so did mine. On asking them why they had added £5k onto my limit without asking. Cvnts.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot

Did you have to pay a £25 "admin fee" for the priviledge?

Comment

Working...
          X