• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding work in mediterreanean?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding work in mediterreanean?

Just got back for Sicily (reallly, really didn't want to) and it's been a hard landing - one contract ended, fortunately the other still holds.
    But even at it's height summer in UK ain't what it is in the Med.
    I want to live there, hopefully in a couple of years or so (could be 5).
    I have no gardening skills to grow vines or olives, so what are my IT options then?
    I'm thinking I should go for the lowest denominator so that there is demand even in the rural parts, perhaps some website/seo/marketing for the villa owners?

Desktop support to the crumblies who have retired there and want to Skype their Grandchildren?

Comment

My major Plan B goal is to have something that I can do from anywhere in the world, and all I need is electricity and an internet connection. It's the 21st century, location shouldn't really matter.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        My major Plan B goal is to have something that I can do from anywhere in the world, and all I need is electricity and an internet connection. It's the 21st century, location shouldn't really matter.
        You could be a virtual male prostitute.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          You could be a virtual male prostitute.
          Frack, I'm busted.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
            Just got back for Sicily (reallly, really didn't want to) and it's been a hard landing - one contract ended, fortunately the other still holds.
            I have no gardening skills to grow vines or olives, so what are my IT options then?
            I'm thinking I should go for the lowest denominator so that there is demand even in the rural parts, perhaps some website/seo/marketing for the villa owners?

I don't know how much it costs to live there but could you offer rates approaching Bob?
            You'd be in almost the same time zone and a mere 3 hours away by air, if necessary. Tout around for local business too.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Pretty much all of the Med basin is using Euros now, what it means is that any basic items is usually over 1 euro and you end up paying similar amount of money for grocery shopping as you would in London.
              The housing, for instance in Sicily is way cheaper but that's for a good reason, as there's hardly anything to do out of summer...
              Still this means setting your rate on par with the Far East is probably a no-no

Comment

Do whatever you want/can.

10 years back I met a Coldfusion developer from South Africa. He was a trained Solicitor in SA, but moved to the UK, got on the CF bandwagon.

Eventually his skills went. So he listened to me talking about setting up a shop, moved to Holland and started an import business from Taiwan.

After a few years he got bored and sold the business. Where with his new GF he moved to Portugal, where they started to import Wine.

They then married and bought a rundown house in the country. He wasn't practical, but decided to learn it. He has done the place up in the last 5 years into luxury rooms and has a Guesthouse business.

He has just managed to borrow money to buy 10 acres of land next door which had orchards and olive plants. He and the wife now have a new business.

You can do whatever your heart desires. Good luck.

http://www.casaverdazul.com/
                Last edited by MarillionFan; 9 July 2010, 16:02.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You could do remote working and SEO work / websites.

To augment that income stream you could clean pools and look after villas for people who let them out (meet and greet, security checks, make sure gardeners turn up, arrange repairs and maitenance, organise cleaning and laundry etc).

I'm sure you'd do okay with both the IT work and looking after villas at the same time.

Comment

Have you any AeroSpace? Languges? etc.?
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X