• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Companies trying to get contractors on low permie wages or fixed term salary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companies trying to get contractors on low permie wages or fixed term salary

Have you noticed the latest tricks that companies do to try and secure contractor calibre people for a fraction of the cost?

Let's say you can contract your services on £400/day.

Instead of offering you a £400/day contract for 12 months, they offer you a 'fixed term contract' where they would pay you say £40k salary plus allow you to enjoy their company benefits for 12 months.

Do the maths- this is much cheaper for them. Instead of paying you potentially £400*5*40 = £80k they pay you salary £40k plus 'benefits'. Benefits at these companies have been seriously downgraded over the years. You're lucky to get an use of an outdated gym now. Forget free parking space, cheap lunch, free cups of tea etc.

Obvious downsides is that you get paid less plus you are taxed more on PAYE and can't offset expenses.

Surely self-respecting contractors should avoid these offers.

Furthemore, some companies are now offering 'permanent' jobs paying less say £30-35k... but who's to say they will not make you redundant in 2-3 years? Then you would have worked for 70-90k salary over that 2-3 year period when you could have raked in £250k+ contracting. Not forgetting paying much less tax.

Surely self-respecting contractors should refuse these bogus offers and demand adequate daily rate. Stay strong contractors, don't give in to bogus 'stable' offers. They're a con.

£30-35k in IT in the UK per year isn't worth it, its ok if you are single and inexperienced and have no family but otherwise you may aswell go abroad and have a higher standard of living doing something else more intersting.

Comment

I've noticed it happening more in the UK than the rest of Europe. Germany's labour market seems a lot stronger than the UK's at the present time.

Same jobs advertised year in year out at low rates, 27 - 30 K or 25 p/h the advert reads. Meanwhile projects are getting the chop left right and centre.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I don't think there is anything new here. There have always been misleading adverts or contracts. You just learn to avoid them
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It's been like this for the whole of 2010.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is it 2008 again?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              Is it 2008 again?
              Is it 1997 again? IBM tried this trick on me and seemed to think I'd be attracted by a company car.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by contractor79 View Post
                Furthemore, some companies are now offering 'permanent' jobs paying less say £30-35k... but who's to say they will not make you redundant in 2-3 years? Then you would have worked for 70-90k salary over that 2-3 year period when you could have raked in £250k+ contracting. Not forgetting paying much less tax.
                Well, if you think you can just "rake in" that amount, then why won't you just do it and spend your time counting the money rather than whining on here?

There is no trick in offering fixed term contract - if you don't like the terms then don't take it, simples.

Even better - if you are that ****ing great at generating value then maybe you should create your own company and do that whilst providing employment or contracting opportunities to others.

P.S. Two new IT staff starts this month and one more next, not counting "high calibre" contractors ...

Comment

Yay AtW
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Well, if you think you can just "rake in" that amount, then why won't you just do it and spend your time counting the money rather than whining on here?

There is no trick in offering fixed term contract - if you don't like the terms then don't take it, simples.

Even better - if you are that ****ing great at generating value then maybe you should create your own company and do that whilst providing employment or contracting opportunities to others.

P.S. Two new IT staff starts this month and one more next, not counting "high calibre" contractors ...
                    Happy happy happy happy talk.......

PS I was getting £50K pa in IT in early 90's when I was permie.

Crikes. £30K pa. That's new grad in media studies in NE England salary surely?

Comment

Working...
                    X