PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had dealings with the Venn Group?

OwlHoot
9th July 2010, 17:43
Had a meeting today with a couple of agents from the Venn Group.

I wasn't happy about providing three client references up front, before even a client interview had materialized let alone an offer. But after a bit of argie bargie they were content (had to be!) with a couple of agent references.

Anyway, when I turned up at the appointed time, the office was a hive of activity, with other "candidates" like myself turning up every few seconds and being ushered into interview rooms until all ten of these were occupied. When I enquired about this, the agents said they had to conduct all interviews at lunchtime. So presumably they're on the phones the rest of the time. But it felt a bit odd all the same.

The two agents who interviewed me looked incredibly young, about 16, although they seemed professional enough. The interview lasted at least 40 minutes, and they took copious notes!

I'm curious to know if anyone else has contracted through Venn and, if so, what you make of them. They seem to have offices all over the place.

MonzaMike
9th July 2010, 18:02
Seem OK to me.

Didn't have to go up to their offices until after client interview and offer, so was just for a quick chat and to show passport, etc. rather than an interview per se.

They did want to chase up references, but after offer that's not a problem.

Never missed a payment, so what more do you need to know....

MarillionFan
9th July 2010, 19:01
Had a meeting today with a couple of agents from the Venn Group.

I wasn't happy about providing three client references up front, before even a client interview had materialized let alone an offer. But after a bit of argie bargie they were content (had to be!) with a couple of agent references.

Anyway, when I turned up at the appointed time, the office was a hive of activity, with other "candidates" like myself turning up every few seconds and being ushered into interview rooms until all ten of these were occupied. When I enquired about this, the agents said they had to conduct all interviews at lunchtime. So presumably they're on the phones the rest of the time. But it felt a bit odd all the same.

The two agents who interviewed me looked incredibly young, about 16, although they seemed professional enough. The interview lasted at least 40 minutes, and they took copious notes!

I'm curious to know if anyone else has contracted through Venn and, if so, what you make of them. They seem to have offices all over the place.

About 5 years back. Never met anyone.

eliquant
9th July 2010, 19:03
That's a very 1990s thing to do ie. contact you and then arange an interview with you. Agencies that dealt with Investment Banking jobs back in the 1990s used to do this alot to see if you "were suitable for the client". How an agent can assess a candidate on his technical skills is beyond me, I think they werre scared of you turning up to the interview with a ring through your nose or drooling vacantly when asked an interview question - anyhow the undercurrent of "Have you any other interviews lined up ?" and "Give me 2 references for our highly esteemed client." All complete b*llshit and a waste of time.

Welcome to the agent's world the biggest waste of time, adding absolutely no value to the candidate, just wasting his time and stressing him out and then aquires 10% for just e-mailing a C.V from candidate to client and setting up some easy invoicing process .... parasites !

threaded
9th July 2010, 19:50
Avoid.

Doggy Styles
9th July 2010, 22:25
Anyway, when I turned up at the appointed time, the office was a hive of activity, with other "candidates" like myself turning up every few seconds and being ushered into interview rooms until all ten of these were occupied. When I enquired about this, the agents said they had to conduct all interviews at lunchtime. So presumably they're on the phones the rest of the time. But it felt a bit odd all the same.The office sounds like a front for something more sinister.

Did you notice any lizardy smells?

norrahe
9th July 2010, 23:29
They pulled the two references mullarkey and I told them that I would be happy to provide to the client on offer of contract.

Not worth it, they don't have a big hold on the market, so I wouldn't bother with them.

OwlHoot
9th July 2010, 23:53
They pulled the two references mullarkey and I told them that I would be happy to provide to the client on offer of contract.

Not worth it, they don't have a big hold on the market, so I wouldn't bother with them.

You're right, and that's why I said I was happy to provide agent references for now - I don't mind if agents badger each other for leads :laugh

I think they're probably above board, but maybe more geared to the less skilled sectors, such as secretarial and catering, and therefore tend to deal with IT contractors on the same basis.

Excuse typos - Just had a bottle of diet tonic water blow up in my face - Left it in the freezer too long and the gas was frozen out. Lucky it was plastic! Right, now where's that gin :D

NorthWestPerm2Contr
11th July 2010, 22:18
I had an "interview" with them 2 years ago and never got a call back since. Waste of time, don't bother.

realityhack
12th July 2010, 11:11
Dealt with them on the hiring side. A bit pushier than your average agency, they put forward 3 crazies and seemed indignant that I didn't want to progress with them. They took too long to understand the role description and field relevant candidates. Waste of time.

Not So Wise
12th July 2010, 16:22
As with hack, only ever dealt with them from the hiring side (and did not think much of them basically telephone/fax jockeys who could not even begin to read a cv).

Also they sometimes do strange things like withholding some moneys until project completion/client sign off as incentive’s to get contractors to stay on and seen issues with getting them to pay up at the end

Remember them once calling a gig to see if a certain contractor was still working on site, funny thing was it was their own contractor and he had only been there about 4 plus years sending in signed timesheets and invoices the whole time

Tells you all you really need to know about them, typical agency

Accountant
9th April 2014, 16:05
Yeah all sounds about right with Venn Group, they get you in take down all your ex managers names, have some imaginary job lined up 200 miles away and then thats it. They continue to hassle you every other day giving you an 'update' on absolutely nothing.

'were keen to get hold of you, please call 0113 asap'

'Were moving pretty fast on this one, possibly a Monday start'

then guess what... nothing happens :freaky:

Ran by a load of graduate/kids who know nothing about the world of work. Other than that - fantastic agency...

DodgyAgent
9th April 2014, 16:32
The business model is very good. They build a database of hiring managers (that is why they want references) and then hit the phones.

suityou01
9th April 2014, 18:24
I've contracted though Venn in the past and thought they were really very good.

Brian Potter
9th April 2014, 18:31
Few months ago I got the Venn Group call with regards to a 'role'. The 'role' was exactly in line with my CV...how odd? Anyway, before I could be submitted to the client I was advised that due to compliance with 'the client' I would have to attend an interview with the agent at the Venn Group office. All I needed to bring with me was my passport, utility bill, driving license, Company Cert of Incorporation, VAT cert and..................................5 names for reference purposes. I told 'em to SMOKE MY BANGER!!! :smokin

suityou01
9th April 2014, 18:38
Few months ago I got the Venn Group call with regards to a 'role'. The 'role' was exactly in line with my CV...how odd? Anyway, before I could be submitted to the client I was advised that due to compliance with 'the client' I would have to attend an interview with the agent at the Venn Group office. All I needed to bring with me was my passport, utility bill, driving license, Company Cert of Incorporation, VAT cert and..................................5 names for reference purposes. I told 'em to SMOKE MY BANGER!!! :smokin

You fewl. Was the end client financial services? This is pretty standard. I toed the line and got the gig.

HTH

darmstadt
9th April 2014, 18:41
Their rates are bit shit aren't they?

Business Analyst - Scrum / Agile
Business Analyst, Agile, Scrum, Testing, Requirements, Documentation Business Analyst : Agile / Scrum. Our client needs a Business Analyst to join the global Agile / Scrum team of this growing financial services software provider. The Business ...
Read more about Business Analyst - Scrum / Agile
£65 - £80 Per Annum London09/04/2014

And why is every one from xxx-xxx?

Brian Potter
9th April 2014, 18:54
You fewl. Was the end client financial services? This is pretty standard. I toed the line and got the gig.

HTH

No it doesn't help. You're just a total idiot.

HTH

suityou01
9th April 2014, 18:57
No it doesn't help. You're just a total idiot.

HTH

Ah. I've got a live one!!!!!!!

Hit a nerve did I? Mmmmmmm? :happy

So while you were telling them to smoke your banger, I was lighting cubans with 50 pound notes and invoicing. :D

Now who's the total idiot. :winker: :rolleyes:

Brian Potter
9th April 2014, 18:58
Now who's the total idiot

You.

darmstadt
9th April 2014, 18:58
So while you were telling them to smoke your banger, I was lighting cubans with 50 pound notes and invoicing. :D

Now who's the total idiot. :winker: :rolleyes:

Not at the rates they advertise you weren't, maybe a rollup with Zimbabwean Dollars :tongue

suityou01
9th April 2014, 19:00
You.

You are my bitch now. :smokin

speling bee
9th April 2014, 19:32
The business model is very good. They build a database of hiring managers (that is why they want references) and then hit the phones.

It would be an even better model if they dialled the phones. Pay peanuts...

suityou01
10th April 2014, 08:08
Not quite total; at least he knows how to spell "toe the line", which reduces my stress no end. :smokin

That giant alien lizard over there? Oh yeah, we're well tight. :D

NorthWestPerm2Contr
10th April 2014, 08:48
Venn group taught me one thing - any agents which want to meet just for a chat have way too much time on their hands. Recently had a couple of agents from Real harass me several times to meet in the city centre. I started off by politely declining because I was not around during the week (working in Yorkshire). After several phone calls and emails I explained to them that I don't meet agents without an interview and every agent that I have met without an interview has never got me a single interview let alone a contract! They kept insisting that they need to meet candidates so they can be sure of the person. I replied that it was them who needed me as usually there are several agencies advertising one role so it is up to me to chose!

I know that is rude but I just wanted them off my back.

speling bee
10th April 2014, 09:01
Yeah all sounds about right with Venn Group, they get you in take down all your ex managers names, have some imaginary job lined up 200 miles away and then thats it. They continue to hassle you every other day giving you an 'update' on absolutely nothing.

'were keen to get hold of you, please call 0113 asap'

'Were moving pretty fast on this one, possibly a Monday start'

then guess what... nothing happens :freaky:

Ran by a load of graduate/kids who know nothing about the world of work. Other than that - fantastic agency...

I do enjoy it when a poster registers just to resurrect a four year old thread. So much to look forward to.

Ravello
10th April 2014, 09:34
I do enjoy it when a poster registers just to resurrect a four year old thread. So much to look forward to.

:laugh

jmo21
10th April 2014, 10:59
You are my bitch now. :smokin

Suity is so cute when he tries to slag people off

HCA2015
2nd October 2015, 22:40
I had the same experience as the OP. I think it's the usual fishing exercise - getting contacts and info to find new sources. The worse thing about these lot is that they also drag you into their office to do it.

Had interview with guy called <mod snip> who assured me the role would be mine but that it wouldn't start for another four weeks. Passport, refs etc...then the week before it was due to start I get a call from some guy called <mod snip> who told me 'the spec has changed'. He was suitably vague, given the role didn't exist in the first place. There are some seriously scummy recruitment agencies out there. This one and Austin Fraser have to be two of the worst.

OwlHoot
3rd October 2015, 08:49
I had the same experience as the OP. I think it's the usual fishing exercise - getting contacts and info to find new sources. ..

Yup, I (the OP) assumed that and never expected to hear from them after my interview, and sure enough I didn't.

Although thinking back, perhaps I started another contract shortly afterwards and didn't chase them up.

boulderman
17th November 2015, 14:52
They told me it was 37 hours a week, they said 7.4 a day. In fact it was 40 per week when I started.

As for pay they offered a day rate, but they are sneaky, they then divided it by 8 to get an hourly rate, then ROUND DOWN, it's not much but I'll lost out on 24 pence a day every day for the last 5 months, due to their maths tactic.

Not happy with that one...if I get two or more offers again, and one is Venn, I may choose the other.

devonlady
5th March 2016, 19:12
Sadly for me, I have! I put my CV in to a law site that was advertising locum lawyer vacancies within my area of expertise. I did not know at the time that the site actually makes your CV available to many Agencies, and Venn Group contacted me, hassling for info about available dates, locations I would cover etc etc. It wasn't really a convenient time for me as I had a builder working on the house but I gave them all the info they required and was very very specific. They came back about a job in Bridgwater for a fortnight when I was available and put me forward for it, or so they said. Next call was to say the firm wanted to talk to me and would be calling me direct. then I get asked if I was self employed or prepared to join an "Umbrella Company". Now I know about Umbrella Companies and the answer was emphatically NO. Why should I - I have been self employed for 11 years and never actually got any work via an Agency, so why should I want to join an Umbrella company! Oddly enough the Bridgwater firm never called, but two other Venn Group offices did - asking me to work in locations that I had specifically said were too far from home. I had been very precise as to the motorway corridor I use a lot and the areas off that corridor where I would be prepared to accept a booking. I had NINE calls over THREE days from this nuisance firm, and no work resulted from it. I have told them to delete all my information from their database and never to contact me again in any way shape or form - complete waste of time.

Martin Scroatman
5th March 2016, 21:09
They had me drive all the way up to Membury Services where a woman conducted an interview pretty much along the same lines as what others have said here though with the difference that we both had whoppers in our hands for the duration.

LauraJ
13th October 2017, 15:23
Venn Group make payments to agency workers every week.

However, they make 'mistakes' regarding tax deductions and will end up sending you a tax bill for thousands of pounds after a few months.

Be very careful.

mattfx
13th October 2017, 15:48
Dealt with them when I was looking for my first gig - they asked me to go to London to meet them because apparently, they have clients that will take contractors based off of the back of that initial interview with Venn - no face to face required with clientco.

Didn't sound like a bunch of people I wanted to work with so stayed clear.

Ketto
13th October 2017, 17:13
Bunch of *******, made a 'mistake' with my rate only sorted when i was stood outside client site at 9am on my first day refusing to go in the door until addressed.

fullyautomatix
13th October 2017, 17:50

HTH

I doubt the facts in this statement.