• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone had dealings with the Venn Group?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone had dealings with the Venn Group?

Had a meeting today with a couple of agents from the Venn Group.

I wasn't happy about providing three client references up front, before even a client interview had materialized let alone an offer. But after a bit of argie bargie they were content (had to be!) with a couple of agent references.

Anyway, when I turned up at the appointed time, the office was a hive of activity, with other "candidates" like myself turning up every few seconds and being ushered into interview rooms until all ten of these were occupied. When I enquired about this, the agents said they had to conduct all interviews at lunchtime. So presumably they're on the phones the rest of the time. But it felt a bit odd all the same.

The two agents who interviewed me looked incredibly young, about 16, although they seemed professional enough. The interview lasted at least 40 minutes, and they took copious notes!

I'm curious to know if anyone else has contracted through Venn and, if so, what you make of them. They seem to have offices all over the place.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

With them now

Seem OK to me.

Didn't have to go up to their offices until after client interview and offer, so was just for a quick chat and to show passport, etc. rather than an interview per se.

They did want to chase up references, but after offer that's not a problem.

Never missed a payment, so what more do you need to know....

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Had a meeting today with a couple of agents from the Venn Group.

I wasn't happy about providing three client references up front, before even a client interview had materialized let alone an offer. But after a bit of argie bargie they were content (had to be!) with a couple of agent references.

Anyway, when I turned up at the appointed time, the office was a hive of activity, with other "candidates" like myself turning up every few seconds and being ushered into interview rooms until all ten of these were occupied. When I enquired about this, the agents said they had to conduct all interviews at lunchtime. So presumably they're on the phones the rest of the time. But it felt a bit odd all the same.

The two agents who interviewed me looked incredibly young, about 16, although they seemed professional enough. The interview lasted at least 40 minutes, and they took copious notes!

I'm curious to know if anyone else has contracted through Venn and, if so, what you make of them. They seem to have offices all over the place.
      About 5 years back. Never met anyone.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

That's a very 1990s thing to do ie. contact you and then arange an interview with you. Agencies that dealt with Investment Banking jobs back in the 1990s used to do this alot to see if you "were suitable for the client". How an agent can assess a candidate on his technical skills is beyond me, I think they werre scared of you turning up to the interview with a ring through your nose or drooling vacantly when asked an interview question - anyhow the undercurrent of "Have you any other interviews lined up ?" and "Give me 2 references for our highly esteemed client." All complete b*lltulip and a waste of time.

Welcome to the agent's world the biggest waste of time, adding absolutely no value to the candidate, just wasting his time and stressing him out and then aquires 10% for just e-mailing a C.V from candidate to client and setting up some easy invoicing process .... parasites !

Comment

Avoid.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            The office sounds like a front for something more sinister.

Did you notice any lizardy smells?

Comment

They pulled the two references mullarkey and I told them that I would be happy to provide to the client on offer of contract.

Not worth it, they don't have a big hold on the market, so I wouldn't bother with them.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

They pulled the two references mullarkey and I told them that I would be happy to provide to the client on offer of contract.

Not worth it, they don't have a big hold on the market, so I wouldn't bother with them.
                You're right, and that's why I said I was happy to provide agent references for now - I don't mind if agents badger each other for leads

I think they're probably above board, but maybe more geared to the less skilled sectors, such as secretarial and catering, and therefore tend to deal with IT contractors on the same basis.

Excuse typos - Just had a bottle of diet tonic water blow up in my face - Left it in the freezer too long and the gas was frozen out. Lucky it was plastic! Right, now where's that gin
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I had an "interview" with them 2 years ago and never got a call back since. Waste of time, don't bother.

Comment

Dealt with them on the hiring side. A bit pushier than your average agency, they put forward 3 crazies and seemed indignant that I didn't want to progress with them. They took too long to understand the role description and field relevant candidates. Waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                    X