• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I dont think even Bolt will change the Tax!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think even Bolt will change the Tax!

Just reading this London 2012 Olympics: Usain Bolt set to shun Britain over punitive tax rules - Telegraph

Just another example of People being taxed out of the country!

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post
    Just reading this London 2012 Olympics: Usain Bolt set to shun Britain over punitive tax rules - Telegraph

Not your fault ads - but I love the way the headline makes it seem like Mr Bolt is boycotting the 2012 Olympics......

Other than that the story is a goodun!

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
      Not your fault ads - but I love the way the headline makes it seem like Mr Bolt is boycotting the 2012 Olympics......

Other than that the story is a goodun!
      I must admit, that headline drew me in! It is a disgrace though about the facts behind the taxing on money that has been earned in other countries!

Comment

So what if he turns up, trips over and doesn't win any prize money - he still has to pay tax on overseas money.

We'll be taxing foreign tourists on their overseas earnings next.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          So what if he turns up, trips over and doesn't win any prize money - he still has to pay tax on overseas money.

We'll be taxing foreign tourists on their overseas earnings next.
          That's what happens when you go to Dubai.

"No Income Tax" != "No tax at all"

If you buy something there's 20% tax on it.

As an aside, which Government permitted this legislation?
          Last edited by SupremeSpod; 13 July 2010, 06:37.

Comment

Originally posted by ads1980 View Post

It would be interesting to see someone test the legality of this measure. However, I think Mr Bolt has more important things to do, and that's the problem. Nobody who's caught out by this can be bothered going to court and spending time and money on this if they can just perform elsewhere and avoid it.

Just a thought though; did this not affect Wimbledon or the British Grand Prix, and if not, why not?
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Just a thought though; did this not affect Wimbledon or the British Grand Prix, and if not, why not?
              That is an interesting point. So, who fancies approaching all these foreign sports stars and acting as "no win, no fee" challenge against the government!?

Comment

This is plainly ridiculous. Imagine applying to contractors. You do a 9 monther in Germany and a 1 monther in England. We want to tax half your earnings!

Stupidly thought out.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Who can blame him? Taxed on worldwide earnings based on proportion of events in Britain? Those rules are not just totally unreasonable, they are well into the realms of insane.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Its crap like this that makes me actually want to celebrate independance day.
                    Yanks had it right all along, screw the British and their taxes
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X