• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Baby steps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby steps

I was reflecting on how far I have come in my 3 years contracting. Granted my infrastructure has grown slowly, but it never ceases to be a challenge putting things together with open source products, second hand (sometimes new) kit and the little time I have available.

I just did a job for an accountancy firm on the weekend, server hdd upgrade. Not the easiest of things to do when you consider I needed to lift the whole OS, exchange, file store and replace all the drives. And to be fair hardware is not my bag, rather I have had 13 years of "having to" advise sys admins, and knowing how to before doing, or researching until I have the confidence.

I did a similar job 4 years ago, and did an excellent job. This time around the rust came off quickly and I was patient and confident. The net result was that ClientCo said I "was the most knowledgable IT guy they had in a long time". Nice feedback.

I took the rest of the day to work on my infrastructure, finally working on my mailmerge from SugarCRM to OpenOffice (I am largely an open source nut). More or less working. I even had the time to ring around 10 similar accountancy practices (ok it was more as I had a few blowouts) and get names of people to write to.

Also then I had time to procure a desktop (P4 - 512mb ram, 40Gb) to move my VM running the VOIP (FreePBX) phone system as my main rig is creaking running more than 1 VM.

So, I reflected how I was building on work and effort an ingenuity I had put in place over the recent years, and how I had grown in confidence in approaching companies. Cold calling used to herald dread and lethargy. Not now.

This may only be additional income, on the side, but I owe it to myself to increase my client base and in turn revenue.

If you are contracting, and waiting for the agencies to provide work, then think about spreading your wings. Happy to take PMs if this strikes a chord with anyone, or if this spurs any procrastinators into action then this is a good thread.

Ho hum.

SY01
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

So you're nominally a software guy, although not even a proper developer, and you're taking money to hack around with peoples' hardware instead of them hiring a professional? How'd you feel if a network admin started dabbling in your codebase?

But otherwise, good plan. Do you have aspirations to be a 'real company' one day or is this just a bit of fun?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      So, I reflected how I was building on work and effort an ingenuity I had put in place over the recent years, and how I had grown in confidence in approaching companies. Cold calling used to herald dread and lethargy. Not now.
      Well you have CUK to thank for that. A few months ago you would have been scampering for cover at the first signs of confrontation, yet now you hang around to be mercilessly ribbed. Now if only you can open-source some sarcasm, you can vary your retorts away from the standard whiney gibberish and bring some hard-hitting wit to bear on your many tormentors.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        ..........bring some hard-hitting wit to bear on your many tormentors.

HTH

MF and Arsewipe wouldn't recognise wit if it appeared with a trumpet fanfare and wearing a T-Shirt with "THIS IS WIT" in large capitals.....

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
          MF and Arsewipe wouldn't recognise wit if it appeared with a trumpet fanfare and wearing a T-Shirt with "THIS IS WIT" in large capitals.....
          Drewster you don't get humour, thats because you suffer from a syndrome called Gervaism.

This sad mental impairment causes the sufferer to think that he and his friends are hilarious, the cool height of wit. Normally middle aged, a little overweight and losing their hair, the sufferer over compensates for their lack of humour. Sometimes laughing too loud in the office, sometimes bigging up other people that they too are funny and sometimes shouting. This is especially noticeable on bulletin boards with the over use of CAPITALS!

The sufferer fails to realise that people are actually laughing at them and not with them.

Very sad.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Drewster you don't get humour, thats because you suffer from a syndrome called Gervaism.

This sad mental impairment causes the sufferer to think that he and his friends are hilarious, the cool height of wit. Normally middle aged, a little overweight and losing their hair, the sufferer over compensates for their lack of humour. Sometimes laughing too loud in the office, sometimes bigging up other people that they too are funny and sometimes shouting. This is especially noticeable on bulletin boards with the over use of CAPITALS!

The sufferer fails to realise that people are actually laughing at them and not with them.

Very sad.
            Thanks MF - Very erudite today or do I mean full of tulip as usual?

Comment

Working...
            X