• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hays paying on time sheets only.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hays paying on time sheets only.

Finishing up on a contract this week and decided to get my invoices up to date. I was about 8 weeks behind and when reviewing my invoices noticed that I had missed a week out from an early invoice (ie 21st - 28th). I had of course faxed over timesheets. I had also invoiced for the wrong number of days one week.

On checking the bank I discovered that the week I hadn't invoiced for, plus the incorrect week had been paid anyway, based on the timesheet!

So it seems that Hays pay only on timesheets, not on raised invoices(as I had made a mistake here).

Is this unique to Hays as I always thought they worked off invoices or do a number of agencies operate in this way?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Lots of agencies work off the timesheet rather than look at the invoice. It's probably quicker for them to process etc.

Comment

Self billing - a lot of agencies do it, including Hays it appears.

(I notice that the text refers to "contractors"... but in the URL, the pathname is "temps". Speaks volumes about Hays...)

Some forum comes up in the Google results too, but I'm not sure how far you could trust that lot

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Self billing - a lot of agencies do it, including Hays it appears.

(I notice that the text refers to "contractors"... but in the URL, the pathname is "temps". Speaks volumes about Hays...)

Some forum comes up in the Google results too, but I'm not sure how far you could trust that lot
        Thx. Interesting. Not come across it before, but it was interesting that they didnt refer to any invoice I sent, but had paid me on timesheet when I hadnt raised an invoice. This means that they wont even note the mistake I made on my invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Thx. Interesting. Not come across it before, but it was interesting that they didnt refer to any invoice I sent, but had paid me on timesheet when I hadnt raised an invoice. This means that they wont even note the mistake I made on my invoice.
          Yep. A few years ago I found that though I'd been faxing my timesheet to my brolly company weekly so they could raise an invoice, the agency had been self-billing from the online timesheet. I just wish the brolly hadn't let me keep on doing it for around seventeen months before letting me know I needn't bother

Comment

Is this unique to Hays as I always thought they worked off invoices or do a number of agencies operate in this way?
            I'm with Hays on my current contract and after starting i sent my invoice as i usually do. Was phoned by them and told its timesheet only so dont bother invoicing. Surprised they didn't tell you (well i'm not actually!).

Comment

I was about 8 weeks behind
              Why why do people do this? always keep your billing up to date to minimise the exposure

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                Why why do people do this? always keep your billing up to date to minimise the exposure
                I don't tend to bother that much for the odd £15-£20K. Seems a little desperate.

Comment

Stating the bleedin' obvious I know (or I assume), but paying on timesheets must be a bang to rights indicator for IR35.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Stating the bleedin' obvious I know (or I assume), but paying on timesheets must be a bang to rights indicator for IR35.
                    No it isn't and has been discussed many times.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X