PDA

View Full Version : New BBC News site layout

Spacecadet
14th July 2010, 10:35
BBC News - Home (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/)

Clippy
14th July 2010, 10:42
Don't like it but will have to get used to it!

If I could change one thing it would be the red banner that goes across the whole page - it should be the same width as the page contents.

They should have a 'revert back to previous version' button ala Microsoft when they released Windows XP and you could switch off the Telly Tubby style and revert back to the Windows 9x type interface.

NickFitz
14th July 2010, 10:58
You heard it here first (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/57078-bbc-news-redesign-sneak-preview.html) :nerd

AtW
14th July 2010, 11:05
It's total and utter tulip.

It also probably cost millions of taxpayer funds. :sick

DimPrawn
14th July 2010, 11:11
Did Nick do it?

Can't someone cut off the wire from his bloody keyboard?

:throw:

:rolleyes:

OwlHoot
14th July 2010, 11:12
Can't say I care for it much, but obviously it will be an improvement for the Magoos among us :nerd

I guess "brand" appearance and consistency is important, but there seems no reason why a site like that couldn't offer a choice of views, and allow people to retain the "classic" view, or for that matter choose some other style.

MarillionFan
14th July 2010, 11:13
Stone me, that's yet another inverse improvement.:frown

I like the previous site, but didnt like that irritating time function they had added to certain windows. So I'm glad thats gone.

Nick. Does the BBC site work in IE6? :tongue

doodab
14th July 2010, 11:20
They missed a bit.

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Overview (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/overview/default.stm)

Still has the old design.

Moscow Mule
14th July 2010, 11:20
I like the reduced size of the BBC navigation bar.

I like the menu change - quicker to jump to required section (two pages loads before, now just the one you are interested in.

I also like the customize features.

I'm ambivalent towards the new layout.

AtW
14th July 2010, 11:47
Did Nick do it?

Can't someone cut off the wire from his bloody keyboard?

:throw:

:rolleyes:

He's got an iPhone, allegedly :devil

NickFitz
14th July 2010, 11:54
They missed a bit.

BBC NEWS | Business | Market Data | Overview (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/overview/default.stm)

Still has the old design.

They haven't switched everything over to the new CMS yet.

Nick. Does the BBC site work in IE6? :tongue

I presume you mean the BBC News site?

It's generally OK; a few touches missing here and there. There's a shedload of hacks in there to cope with IE-less-than-8's utter brokenness though:

<!--[if (IE 6)|(IE 7)]> <style type="text/css"> .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast, body #blq-container.blq-gvl-3 .blq-foot-opaque { background: transparent; -ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startCo lorstr=#66000000,endColorstr=#66000000)"; filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startCo lorstr=#66000000,endColorstr=#66000000); } html body #blq-container #blq-nav {background: transparent;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast #blq-search { padding: 5px 4px 4px 7px; } .blq-gvl-3 #blq-nav-main a { background-position: left 12px; } .blq-morepanel-shown #blq-nav-m a { background-position: 83% -13px} </style> <![endif]--> <!--[if IE 6]> <style type="text/css"> .blq-clearfix {height:1%;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home .blq-home {display:none;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-autosuggest {margin-left:-7px; padding-bottom:8px} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-nav-main {background-position: 96% 16px;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home img {visibility: hidden;} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home a {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaIma geLoader(enabled=true, sizingMethod='crop', src='http://static.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/barlesque/1.3.2/newnav/../gvl3/img/blocks/light.png');} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home a {cursor:pointer} .blq-gvl-3 #blq-mast-home span.blq-home {height:32px; width:107px;} .blq-footer-image-light, .blq-footer-image-dark {width: 68px;height: 21px;display: block;} .blq-footer-image-dark img, .blq-footer-image-light img { visibility: hidden; } .blq-footer-image-light {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaIma geLoader(enabled=true, sizingMethod='scale', src='http://static.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/barlesque/1.3.2/newnav/../gvl3/img/blocks/light.png');} .blq-footer-image-dark {filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaIma geLoader(enabled=true, sizingMethod='scale', src='http://static.bbc.co.uk/frameworks/barlesque/1.3.2/newnav/../gvl3/img/blocks/dark.png');} </style> <script type="text/javascript"> try { document.execCommand("BackgroundImageCache",false,true); } catch(e) {} </script> <![endif]--> <!--[if lt IE 6]> <style> html body #blq-container #blq-foot { background: #4c4c4c; } html body #blq-container #blq-foot a, html body #blq-container #blq-foot p, html body #blq-container #blq-foot li { color: white; } </style> <![endif]-->

and, in an unusual but effective approach:

<!--[if lte IE 6]><body class="news ie disable-wide-advert"><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]><body class="news ie7 disable-wide-advert"><![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8]><body class="news ie8 disable-wide-advert"><![endif]-->
<!--[if !IE]>--><body class="news disable-wide-advert"><!--<![endif]-->

which means they've even had to introduce hacks for IE8, which gets most things right :confused:

They've also excluded a load of styles from IE-less-than-6, and a load more from any version of IE.

CheeseSlice
14th July 2010, 14:27
Is it just me or have they basically taken stuff from the left hand side (menus) and right hand side (related news, external links, etc) and just put them at the top of bottom of the page?

In a world where most new PCs now come with widescreen monitors, was this really necessary?

Moscow Mule
14th July 2010, 14:37
In a world where most new PCs now come with widescreen monitors, was this really necessary?

maximumcontentwidthisthenewshinyidea

doodab
14th July 2010, 14:54
maximumcontentwidthisthenewshinyidea

I hope it's not. I hope they have given the actual text a maximum width or I don't think I'll be able to read it on my 24" screen.

NickFitz
14th July 2010, 14:59
I hope it's not. I hope they have given the actual text a maximum width or I don't think I'll be able to read it on my 24" screen.

The content width is fixed at 976px. The primary column on the left of the home page is 624px, and the supplementary column at the right is 336px (plus 16px of margin between them == 976). The main story headline is also 624px; the story content column is 464px wide, allowing for supplementary material such as pullquotes and photo insets in the right-hand 160px of the story, with the right-hand supplementary material still at 336px (and 16px margin between the two primary columns).

Clippy
14th July 2010, 16:23
The content width is fixed at 976px. The primary column on the left of the home page is 624px, and the supplementary column at the right is 336px (plus 16px of margin between them == 976). The main story headline is also 624px; the story content column is 464px wide, allowing for supplementary material such as pullquotes and photo insets in the right-hand 160px of the story, with the right-hand supplementary material still at 336px (and 16px margin between the two primary columns).

What's the lowest size monitor that would support this without the need to scroll horizontally? Is it 15"?

Just wondering what the standard is in these days of large screen displays.

SupremeSpod
14th July 2010, 16:38
What's the lowest size monitor that would support this without the need to scroll horizontally? Is it 15"?

It's not just the size of the monitor per se, it's the resolution - and how good your eyes are...

NickFitz
14th July 2010, 17:25

It's not just the size of the monitor per se, it's the resolution - and how good your eyes are...

WSSS. It's going to be fine on anything down to 1024*768; the next widely-found resolution below that is 800*600. On such a screen you'd still be able to see all the primary content by vertical scrolling; you'd only have to scroll horizontally to look at all of the stuff in the right-hand column. In fact, that would apply all the way down to 640*480, assuming the vertical scrollbar wasn't too thick.

moorfield
14th July 2010, 19:22
Don't like it but will have to get used to it!

Not sure I like it either. I fear change.

Clippy
16th July 2010, 14:16
Not sure I like it either. I fear change.

OK, I fkn hate it - don't actually seem to be able to 'find' any news due to the lack of categories on the page - having to scroll down to find them is a chore and counter-intuitive/productive.

Moscow Mule
16th July 2010, 14:40
OK, I fkn hate it - don't actually seem to be able to 'find' any news due to the lack of categories on the page - having to scroll down to find them is a chore and counter-intuitive/productive.

There's a menu at the top?

Clippy
16th July 2010, 16:29
There's a menu at the top?

A menu that is so good it blends into the background and makes the site look and feel more like an ecommerce site than an International news site.