• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent who hasn't even read her own e-mail/advert

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent who hasn't even read her own e-mail/advert

I've got used to agents who don't bother looking at the CV or finding out something about the acronyms they're asking for, but this takes the biscuit.

Agent sends e-mail asking for a 'TPI Consultant', with 'TPI Consultant' as title and TPI named 5 times in the description. TPI in this case stands for 'Test Process Improvement'. So I phone her.

She asks me what experience I can bring, and among other things I name TPI. Tells me I need > 10 years experience in organisational change, managing large test teams, reporting to senior management etc. Which I have. And TPI experience.

Agent; 'sorry, what is that?'

MTT; 'TPI'

Agent; 'Yes I heard that, but how is it relevant to the role?'

MTT; 'You asked for a TPI consultant'

Agent; 'did I? What's TPI?'

MTT; 'Test Process Improvement'

Agent; 'Oh; erm, you mean you can improve test processes? Is that a methodology?'

MTT; 'yes, it's a structured approach to improving test processes'

Agent; 'oh, that could be quite useful in this role; what's your hourly rate?'

MTT; 'what are you offering?'

Agent; 'maximum 60 euros'

MTT; 'best of luck! I'll do it for 100'

Agent; 'I've promised the client I'll get someone for 67.50'

MTT; 'Oh no you won't. There are only about 20 people in this country with the experience you need for this and only one is available right now; that's me'

Agent: 'I'll see what I can do and call back'

Last edited by Mich the Tester; 14 July 2010, 12:49.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Are you absolutely sure she didn't want a Truss Plate Institute Consultant?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Are you absolutely sure she didn't want a Truss Plate Institute Consultant?
      Is she absolutely sure?

I think she actually just wanted some 'references'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Is she absolutely sure?

I think she actually just wanted some 'references'.
        Was she from Arrows Group by any chance?
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Was she from Arrows Group by any chance?
          No; MBA

Comment

Congrats on adding some meat to the Job Spec she's just emailed to WIPRO.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
              Oh dear, one to avoid in the future
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Skills shortage!!!!

Bring in more Bobs!

Comment

I've just downloaded an article on TPI. Be up and running in hours.

I'll do it for 95 Euros.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I've just downloaded an article on TPI. Be up and running in hours.

I'll do it for 95 Euros.
                    TPI's the easy bit.

Comment

Working...
                    X