• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The week half-way over.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The week half-way over.

On Sunday night I was having a beer and chatting with some people and small talk goes “What you got planned for next week?”

I said, “I’ve got some stuff to sort out first thing in the morning [Monday] to finish off what I have been doing the last couple of weeks which shouldn’t take too long. After that I’m going to have my business planning undies on to figure out what I’m up to and how to get out the country.”

It’s now Wednesday afternoon and I’m STILL working on this market data capture thingy. I had forgotten about one of the exchanges; I’m not using it now but I will be shortly.

This is really getting up my arse. I am making no progress on getting out of the country whatsoever. I’m not going to be able to get away with this “I’m receiving medical treatment” ploy for much longer.

Hector will be knocking on my door soon.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Surely if you are working by yourself building some sort of thing for your own business you could do that on a beach somewhere. Why do you stay?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

"Data capture" - linguistic proof of the primal masculinity of software development. Data, and errors, are to be "captured", with flint spears and a net and lots of shouting.

Conversely, business requirements are to be "gathered" with a little wicker basket, probably while breastfeeding an infant.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Surely if you are working by yourself build ing some sort of thing for your own business you could do that on a beach somewhere. Why do you stay?
        Very good question. The answer, as always, is money.

I need to get this current thing into revue generating mode first. It's not a legal requirement, but it will make life a lot easier to explain to brain-dead civil servants in the immigration departments, etc.

I would far prefer to be away and finish it off there rather than do it here. Actually, from mid-June to first week of September, I would be in the UK / EU anyway.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
          "Data capture" - linguistic proof of the primal masculinity of software development. Data, and errors, are to be "captured", with flint spears and a net and lots of shouting.

Conversely, business requirements are to be "gathered" with a little wicker basket, probably while breastfeeding an infant.
          They are futures prices; so yeah, a lot of shouting is involved somewhere.

Comment

Sir,

May I suggest the PT (5 flags) route?

3 months 'holiday' and always moving on...

Have laptop will travel!

T

Comment

Background

In practical terms, perpetual travelers (PTs) are people who live in such a way that they are not considered a legal resident of any of the countries in which they spend time.

By lacking a legal permanent residence status, they seek to avoid the legal obligations which may accompany residency, such as income and asset taxes, jury duty and military service.

For example, while PT's may hold citizenship in one or more countries that impose taxes based solely on residency, their legal residence will most likely be in a tax haven. PTs may spend the majority of their time in other countries, never staying long enough to be considered a resident.

Rationale

Some PT's are wealthy individuals whose primary motivation is tax avoidance. It is possible for a non-national to live for several months, and in some cases even own property, in many countries without becoming legally tax resident and therefore having to pay income tax.

For example, most European countries allow tourists to spend up to three months (and in some cases six months) in the country without being considered a resident or being required to file a local tax return.

Similarly, it is possible to spend up to 122 days each year in the United States without being considered a resident—or being required to file a US tax return. This workaround is applicable only for non-US citizens who are not permanent residents and earn no income in the United States.

In general PT's can, by moving between countries on a regular basis—be able to legally reduce or eliminate their tax burden. Other PT's and itinerants may adopt this lifestyle for primarily self-ownership reasons, seeking to be free from government authority, interference and "The System".

Five Flag Theory

Perpetual travelers may attempt to organize their affairs around the "Five Flags" theory[1][2][3], arranging for different facets of their lives to fall under the jurisdiction of separate countries or flags. This is W.G. Hill's[4][1] own "2 flag" extension of investment advisor Harry Schultz's[1] original "Three Flags" approach.

Whether to minimize governmental interference (via taxes or otherwise), or to maximize privacy, the theory proposes that you arrange for each of the following to be in a separate country:

1. Passport and Citizenship - in a country that does not tax money earned outside the country.
              2. Legal Residence - in a tax haven.
              3. Business Base - where you earn your money, ideally somewhere with low Corporate tax rates.
              4. Asset Haven - where you keep your money, ideally somewhere with low taxation of savings interest and capital gains.
              5. Playgrounds - where you spend your money, ideally somewhere with low consumption tax and VAT.

Three Flag Theory

The general basis of the Three Flag Theory is:

1. Your citizenship must be somewhere that does not tax income earned outside the country.
              2. Your businesses and speculations must be done in stable, low or no tax countries.
              3. Live as a tourist in countries where what you do for a living is valued, not outlawed.

Philosophy

On the surface, perpetual travelers have some things in common with world citizens, in that they see themselves as untethered to any one nation. Many PT's align themselves closely with the libertarian or anarchist schools of thought, which advocate individual sovereignty - sovereignty vested in the individual rather than in nation states.

Comment

That's me, or it was.

I got stuck in the UK when I got sick a couple of years ago and there was some other 'issues' to deal with.

I'm now in the process of rebooting things.

Many PT's align themselves closely with the libertarian or anarchist schools of thought, which advocate individual sovereignty - sovereignty vested in the individual rather than in nation states.

Comment

Hmmm....

I'm in the process of expanding my Plan B to allow us to move away and run it remotely.

A friend of mine ran the same business long distance for six months just to see the pitfalls / draw backs.

Anything is possible with the internet etc...

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tingles View Post
                    Background

In practical terms, perpetual travelers (PTs) are people who live in such a way that they are not considered a legal resident of any of the countries in which they spend time.

By lacking a legal permanent residence status, they seek to avoid the legal obligations which may accompany residency, such as income and asset taxes, jury duty and military service.

For example, while PT's may hold citizenship in one or more countries that impose taxes based solely on residency, their legal residence will most likely be in a tax haven. PTs may spend the majority of their time in other countries, never staying long enough to be considered a resident.

Rationale

Some PT's are wealthy individuals whose primary motivation is tax avoidance. It is possible for a non-national to live for several months, and in some cases even own property, in many countries without becoming legally tax resident and therefore having to pay income tax.

For example, most European countries allow tourists to spend up to three months (and in some cases six months) in the country without being considered a resident or being required to file a local tax return.

Similarly, it is possible to spend up to 122 days each year in the United States without being considered a resident—or being required to file a US tax return. This workaround is applicable only for non-US citizens who are not permanent residents and earn no income in the United States.

In general PT's can, by moving between countries on a regular basis—be able to legally reduce or eliminate their tax burden. Other PT's and itinerants may adopt this lifestyle for primarily self-ownership reasons, seeking to be free from government authority, interference and "The System".

Five Flag Theory

Perpetual travelers may attempt to organize their affairs around the "Five Flags" theory[1][2][3], arranging for different facets of their lives to fall under the jurisdiction of separate countries or flags. This is W.G. Hill's[4][1] own "2 flag" extension of investment advisor Harry Schultz's[1] original "Three Flags" approach.

Whether to minimize governmental interference (via taxes or otherwise), or to maximize privacy, the theory proposes that you arrange for each of the following to be in a separate country:

1. Passport and Citizenship - in a country that does not tax money earned outside the country.
                    2. Legal Residence - in a tax haven.
                    3. Business Base - where you earn your money, ideally somewhere with low Corporate tax rates.
                    4. Asset Haven - where you keep your money, ideally somewhere with low taxation of savings interest and capital gains.
                    5. Playgrounds - where you spend your money, ideally somewhere with low consumption tax and VAT.

Three Flag Theory

The general basis of the Three Flag Theory is:

1. Your citizenship must be somewhere that does not tax income earned outside the country.
                    2. Your businesses and speculations must be done in stable, low or no tax countries.
                    3. Live as a tourist in countries where what you do for a living is valued, not outlawed.

Philosophy

On the surface, perpetual travelers have some things in common with world citizens, in that they see themselves as untethered to any one nation. Many PT's align themselves closely with the libertarian or anarchist schools of thought, which advocate individual sovereignty - sovereignty vested in the individual rather than in nation states.
                    How do you decide which football team to support?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X